2.5g heater - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5g heater

The heater I currently have just isn't cutting it. What are some of you using on tanks this size? Successes and failures. Can you over do it on a heater? Size is the biggest downfall since the tank is only 8 inches tall. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
I used the hydro 25 watt before. pretty good no complaints nothing special though. I also really like the tetra 50W heaters you can get at walmart for like 10 bucks. They're pre set to the range we need them at and are small and discreet.

-Neil
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have the catalina 50w in my 7g. So far its kept rock solid temps. They also make a 25w model. They are small titanium heaters, the in tank heating element is around 4-5 inches long.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

7g Cube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Unfortauntely for your size tank the Ehiem Jagar heaters won't be an option (they are big/bulky) but its a reliable brand with adjustable temperature and you can calibrate it to show accurate temp. I'm hesitant to try any of the pre set temp "betta bowl" heaters as I've heard plenty of horror stories of them cooking fish.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Planted Member

Like AquaAurora, I heard of horror stories with those betta bowl heaters. From what I understand, they heat the bowl 10 degrees above room temperature so if the room varies, so does the bowl. I personally want a heater that keeps the small tank at a consistent temperature.
The Jager 25 watt heaters are way too physically big.

I wish they still make the ittle Compact Themal 25 watt heaters because they were perfect. I'm still using two of those. But I did find the 25 watt Marina Mini Submersible Aquarium Heater which is small enough. It's been working for 7 or 8 months so far and is adjustable.

Those Catalina heaters mentioned by devilduck look good. I think I'll try one of those next time if I can find the 25 watt.

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I use a 50w petco brand laid horizontally on the back wall. Works great
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can try getting a temperature controller, and plug the betta heater to it. The controller will shutdown the heater at a temp of your choosing, and turn it back on to prevent it from cooling down. I have an inexpensive Finnex Max-300 controller that I was thinking of using with a small non-adjustable heater for a pico tank before I decided to go heater-less.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've been using a Marina 10W in my 3 gallon for years with no problems. The thing is pretty small maybe 5 or 6 inches.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilshieh View Post
I used the hydro 25 watt before. pretty good no complaints nothing special though. I also really like the tetra 50W heaters you can get at walmart for like 10 bucks. They're pre set to the range we need them at and are small and discreet.
So far the hydor 25w is my favorite, the only problem is that it's 10 inches so the top 2 inches would be sticking out of the tank. This isn't an issue since I have a custom hood on the tank so you wouldn't be able to see it. Ideally however, I would like a heater that fits completely in the tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-25W-Submersible-Aquarium-Heater/dp/B0006JLPG8
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
I have the catalina 50w in my 7g. So far its kept rock solid temps. They also make a 25w model. They are small titanium heaters, the in tank heating element is around 4-5 inches long.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
I can't seem to find the 25w model anywhere. Do you have a link to it? Also, are these adjustable?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentypoundtabby View Post
Like AquaAurora, I heard of horror stories with those betta bowl heaters. From what I understand, they heat the bowl 10 degrees above room temperature so if the room varies, so does the bowl. I personally want a heater that keeps the small tank at a consistent temperature.
The Jager 25 watt heaters are way too physically big.

I wish they still make the ittle Compact Themal 25 watt heaters because they were perfect. I'm still using two of those. But I did find the 25 watt Marina Mini Submersible Aquarium Heater which is small enough. It's been working for 7 or 8 months so far and is adjustable.

Those Catalina heaters mentioned by devilduck look good. I think I'll try one of those next time if I can find the 25 watt.
I also couldn't find a 25w Marina that was adjustable. I'm really trying to stay away from anything "pre-set" because that's what I have now and it makes me nervous.

I did find this little guy, but I don't know if I want to mess with the voltage converter. Other than that this seems perfect... https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105013
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I also just found this little guy on e bay. At 7 inches it looks promising, but I'm always nervous ordering cheap chinese anything. What do you guys think?

http://tinyurl.com/n8o8z2p
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 AM
Planted Member

I'll try and get a picture of my 25 watt Marina Mini Submersible Aquarium Heater. It's made by Hagen and it's adjustable and has an indicator light. I think I have a spare still in the package to take a picture of.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentypoundtabby View Post
I'll try and get a picture of my 25 watt Marina Mini Submersible Aquarium Heater. It's made by Hagen and it's adjustable and has an indicator light. I think I have a spare still in the package to take a picture of.
That would be great. Thanks.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:29 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have been using this one in my 3 gallon:

http://tinyurl.com/k6h9gjl
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardie View Post
That would be great. Thanks.
I don't still have one in the package, but this is one in one of my daugher's betta tanks. You can adjust the temperature with the white knob on top and it has an indicator light. I got it from:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...um-heater.html
I think the comment in the description on Petmountain saying it isn't submersible is a cut and paste error from another Marina heater. This one is clearly totally submersible. Click on the details to see Hagen's description.
Click image for larger version

Name:	heatermarina.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	277570

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode