Nanofish Bigger Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Question Nanofish Bigger Tank

Does anyone keep a big school of nanofish in a tank as big as 30 gals and bigger? If so I would like to see some pics and here some stories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:11 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
once upon a time...

... check my sig

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well I the nano-stuff I keep are red cherry shrimp and pygmy corydoras. Panda cories are kind of small, 2" adult size, so I guess you could fit that in a "large" nano-tank.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf
Spypet, what fish are in that 30gallon? they don't look very nano fish to me. Especially those rasbora harlequin, all literature I've read on them suggests 15gallon minimum.
The rest I spotted are Endlers and Cardinal tetra, both of which are common place in larger tanks.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

my 30gal breeder species list;

1.0cm bumblebee goby - Brachygobius aggregatus
1.5cm dwarf cory - Corydoras hastatus
1.5cm red ramshorn snail - Planorbis corneus/rubrum
2.0cm danio - Chela dadyburjori
2.0cm porkchop rasbora - Trigonostigma hengeli
2.0cm Endler's livebearer guppy - Poecilia Reticulata * MALES ONLY *
2.0cm red cherry shrimp - Neocaridina denticulata sinensis
3.0cm cardinal tetra, Paracheirodon axelrodi
4.0cm botia - Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki
4.0cm dwarf sucker-mouth catfish - Otocinclus affinis

I guess it depends on what you consider Nano fish.
If I actually did a small 5 gallon Nano tank, I would
go with the goby, cory and rasbora not only due to
their size, but also their low activity level. thats why
having small size fish in a large tank is fun, as you
can house hyper active fish like male Endlers, then
they inspire those usual docile fish to be more active.
despite all the activity, I have about 80 animals in
this tank, and they all get along famously. I have
never had to separate a fish for harassment issues,
and because the tank is densely planted with small
leaf slow growing plants, my nitrates average 5ppm,
partially due to my strict under feeding of these fish.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Those aren't harlequins, they're hengelis.

Spypet, I am interested in how you are keeping the bumblebee goby. I am very interested in getting one of these, but I hear that they are pretty fierce and territorial, and also that they generally don't do as well in full fresh water. It is my understanding that there are 2 types of bumblebees; one that has broken stripes and one that has solid stripes. The solid striped one is supposed to do a little better in fresh, but they are both brackish. Also, have you had any experiences with scarlet badis? They also seem like a really neat nano fish that have a cichlid look without the cichlid bite.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

I bought a dozen Brachygobius aggregatus from Franksaquarium last Spring, and really love having them in my tank, and they seem right at home with all my dense tiny leaf plants and lava rocks, and are very day active. I consistently flavor the 30gals with about a tablespoon of marine salt, so clearly these will do well in fresh water. I know gobys do get a bum rap, so I can only vouch for mine, who are aggressive enough to go after live brine shrimp and live black worms, while leaving my small male cherry shrimp alone. where ever you buy these, be sure to slow acclimate them since they were probably kept in saltier water.

As an experiment, I threw one goby in my shrimp breeding tank that has dozens of 3mm fry, and even after several days in there, I'm certain the goby didn't pry on a single fry! I have never noticed them being particularly territorial beyond an occasional nudge that tells another fish to move along, and more often then not, they simply get out of the way. I think mine have solid stripes and I would get at least three, as these fish don't school, but they do like to congregate with their own kind, like my pygmy cories.

Scarlet Badis sound like a great idea, and I've added them to my list of fish to try. I had Sparkling/Pygmy Gourami Trichopsis pumila in this tank at one point, but I moved them to my 29gal high with my tiger barbs, because they were growing over 4cm and did pray on my adult shrimp, but they get along great with each other and each of my communities of fish, probably due having a lot of vertical plant growth in each tank.

I agree that putting Cardinal tetras in this tank was a stretch, due to their size and high contrasting coloration, so I may remove them now that they are fully grown, but I saw them for $1 each as fry in Chinatown, and couldn't resist. In addition, with the Endlers, Danio and Hengeli doing most of the shoaling; the tetras have become relatively docile in this tank, and stay huddled close together most of the time even after Months in my tank.

I'm amazed male Endler's are not more popular to the LPS trade, as the two dozen of them in my tank are by far the most colorful and entertaining fish I have kept to date, and are the hardiest <1" fish I know.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I have a 20 tall with a colony of Heterandria Formosa and Cambarellus Shufeldtii...

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I had a 29g with H.formosa, B.maculatus, several species of Brachygobius and cherry shrimp. It actually looked pretty messy.

Regarding the Bumblebees, they can be kept in either fresh or brack, it doesn't matter. I should also point out that spypet has one of the "dwarf" species, which are smaller and displays none of territorial behavior of the "regular" species.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
My 29g consists of a school of 24 Celestial Pearl Danios, cherry shrimp, and a few ottos. If you go with smaller fish, they really make your tank look a lot larger than it actually is.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Damn, 24 CPDS, must have set you back a nice chunk of change. I'd like to try those too, but in a species tank.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Thanks everyone, any more pics out there?

+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode