first try nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
first try nano

after looking at all the planted nanos, i wanted to try it out like many others do.

so here's my first pics of it being started.

i was thinking of buying that zoomed filter. i read people's opinions on it so im leaning towards it. is there another i should be looking at for this tank?

further plans are to buy aquasoil from this fish store in long beach, plant some hairgrass or somethin else, i have co2 for a larger tank that i still have to get rid of so ill be using that 5lb bottle for this small tank until i get my bowfront then gonna switch to diy co2.

hopefully up an running in the next week or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to dirkgent001
I just switched to the zoo med and love it, only wish it had a flow regulator. In my 2.5 gallon its a bit much, but I just used a clip to squeeze the hose a bit. Your tank looks small, so the Red Sea Nano filter or Deco Palm filter would also work.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
While I'm sure the zoomed is a great filter, keep in mind that it's $50. I've been using a Red Sea art-deco nano filter for my 5 gallon, and it keeps the water crystal clear. Best part is it only cost me $15 at my lfs, which means it's probably cheaper elsewhere. It depends on whether or not you NEED to use a canister filter, I suppose.

You seem to be off to a nice start!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to dirkgent001
another GREAT alternative, Azoo Palm Filter and on sale now. $6 (plus shipping)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...21&pcatid=9821
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 AM
Planted Member

A canister filter I worth it, in my opinion. You'll have less equipment hanging off your tank to distract from your 'scape.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

added some aquasoil and some hairgrass. i couldnt break up the clumps all that well so i sort of jus left the big ones together.

iono bout the driftwood. maybe if i can find some rocks instead ill put those in.

also not pictured is a hob filter that my gf used previously before i bought her an eheim. i dont like it hanging on there but itll work for now til after i can scrounge up some money to buy that zoo med 501 filter.

christmas has a way of taking money from your pocket with you not even knowing it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
well this is very similar to my 16 gallon tank lol...
spread the hairgrass more IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you use some sharp tipped forceps or tweezers, you can easily separate the hair grass out and plant it in a much more spread out pattern, allowing it to fill in faster than the clumps you've got now.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Just make sure you are using the right type of lighting on your nano and keep up on water changes to keep the algae down.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfalcon7 View Post
If you use some sharp tipped forceps or tweezers, you can easily separate the hair grass out and plant it in a much more spread out pattern, allowing it to fill in faster than the clumps you've got now.
I agree. However, just be prepared to spend a lot of time planting a few folicles of hairgrass at a time. You will be surprised how much planting you can do with one bunch of hairgrass, like the ones you have now.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

cool, thanks for the tip. ill try that over the weekend when i got some free time.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nice tank! I have a 3 gallon version of those rimless tanks myself. I LOVE it. It's my second favorite tank, next to my ADA tank.

Seems a shame to invade such a nice small tank with such big driftwood. Try something smaller?

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Love the wood. In the first pic it made the tank look very slick. Your tank was screaming grassland or plains. So some kind of low plant all over. You picked hairgrass. I agree try to split it up more. Use tweezers, the same kind you would use to pluck eyebrow hairs out of your face or pull slivers out. Use that to plant your hairgrass.
Its gonna take a while but it will be healthier for the grass.

32 gal planted amazonian-ish tank
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

i didnt know how much to really split them apart, but i did manage to get them into smaller groups. was scared of breaking the roots while trying to get that potted stuff off.

that hob filter in the back might be temporary. but it was free so free is always a good thing to me. i might have to cut that intake tube shorter though
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Don't worry about the roots. If they manage to stay undisturbed, new roots will grow in and take hold. I trim the roots of newly acquired plants to about 1/2-1/3 of their original length. This promotes new root growth and allows for the new roots to become well rooted in the substrate.

IMO, I would still spread them out even more, but given time, it'll fill in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode