2 Gallon Cookie Jar - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
2 Gallon Cookie Jar

I am toying with the idea of setting up a planted cookie jar with shrimps.

I had a beautiful planted 20 gal going, but when I moved, I broke it down. I miss it!

Now my questions, to recharge my memory.

1. Best substrate?
2. CO2 needed for 2 gals?
3. Best lighting- preferably bulb style?

I have a heater, and I am going to use a sponge filter.

this is the 'tank' I am planning on using. It is 2 gals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have raised fry in a 2g cookie jar. However I did no lights and no heat (The room was 74f). I did have an airstone.

I have also done an emersed plant tank in a 2g cookie jar under my grow lights.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've got a friend who set up a nice bowl about that size- miracle gro organic potting soil capped with blasting grit, and planted with various clippings, dwarf sag, and lots of frogbit.

He's got a cheap desk lamp over it with a single 60 watt equivelent phillips daylight cfl.

It looks quite nice.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the link! Same jar it seems
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Sounds like an awesome idea, especially with a nice thick glass jar! Be sure to post photos updates as you get it going.
Substrate best determined by what plant type(s) you plan to keep. I don't think you'd need co2 but I'm no expect with co2... you can get co2 from water chagnes in such a small system I think that would be fine (again not expert on this topic).
Lighting best lighting is a windowsill (free light!) but a 6500k cfl bulbs (smaller wattage or light lifted up a bit high to reduce algae). Can try LED, or fluorescent but it all depends on wattage, height from jar, reflector (or lack of) etc etc. If you plan to add more planted jars/bowls/cubes you can look into "grow lamps" (sometimes LEDs, cfl, or T5s).. there are so many options out there I can't possibly list (or remember) them all. Figuring out what you want to grow will help you focus more on what you need in a light.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I had a 13 cfl on my 1.75g and battled with algae for a few months. I then switched to a 10w cfl, raised the light 8" from the rim and added floaters with great success.

What bothers me is that I see a lot of similar sized tanks with high watt cfls placed inches from the top and they claim to not have algae issues. I think it has to do with my slow growing crypt plants. Add a ton of fast growing stem plants and I'm sure algae issues would be null and void.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Awesome response!

I got Ecocomplete substrate and a driftwood so far. I placed it in the tank about 2-3" (higher in the back) with the driftwood hiding the filter and heater. I found a tiny filter that fits well.. I can't seem to find the sponge filters anymore.

Will look at the suggesting lighting -- newbish question.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/FeitElectr...-Bulb/23912288 is this what I am looking at? Daylight bulbs?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil2Print View Post
Awesome response!

I got Ecocomplete substrate and a driftwood so far. I placed it in the tank about 2-3" (higher in the back) with the driftwood hiding the filter and heater. I found a tiny filter that fits well.. I can't seem to find the sponge filters anymore.

Will look at the suggesting lighting -- newbish question.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/FeitElectr...-Bulb/23912288 is this what I am looking at? Daylight bulbs?
Yep thats a good type to get but holy crap that price is a rip off! Go look at 6500k cfl at amazon or ebay, even with shipping those sites will sell it for less than the linked one you showed (its base price before any shipping). If you want to pick some up locally try a hardware store (lows, home depo) or maybe gardening centers (not sure about that one.. some might have indoor grow lights). I'd recommend getting a light that can be used in any regular iridescent/florescent fixture, don't get pronged lights or ones with tiny.. gah brain fart.. whats it called.. the bottom part that screws into a light fixture, make sure you get a light with a common size if you want to use a common fixture/lamp (unless the lamp you intend to buy only takes pronged or mini screw in bulbs).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thank you I have an old desk lamp that I was planning on using. I didn't go pricing hunting yet, WM was the first on google that i looked at, lol. thanks for the advice!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here's the start.

EcoComplete Substrate
Mini filter
Heater
Driftwood

I got the bulb, but i can't find my lamp. I'll have to get a new one.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 11:50 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Cool betta
You can try a Deep Blue Solar Flare 3w LED stick-on lamp. Works pretty well for me. About $20 shipped from Ken's Fish.

If not for the betta, you can do fine with no heater, no filter for RCS and such.

I started a list of sub 2g 'tanks' under Low Tech subforum - lots if cool tanks and ideas.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Beautiful betta ^^ is that an anubias? make sure the rhizome is not buried or it will rot.

~
~
~
~
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thank you the betta is actually a Delta tail. He chewed his tail off in his old tank. Hoping his new home would make him happier.

thanks you two for the advice!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Cool betta
You can try a Deep Blue Solar Flare 3w LED stick-on lamp. Works pretty well for me. About $20 shipped from Ken's Fish.

If not for the betta, you can do fine with no heater, no filter for RCS and such.

I started a list of sub 2g 'tanks' under Low Tech subforum - lots if cool tanks and ideas.

v3
That's the LED I was trying to remember earlier! Couldn't recall the name for the life of me though.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode