Fluval spec 3!... What can I grow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval spec 3!... What can I grow?

So Im planning to make a low light non CO2 setup for in a fluval spec 3 but what plants am i limited to if i use the stock light? Is it even strong enough to grow low light plants?
If not, are there any good light upgrades? Prefereably one that puts me at a sufficient but low lighting

Some plants i had in mind
Java fern
Bolbitis fern
Dwarf sag
Vals
Brazilian Pennywort
Crypts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower

I have a Spec III, and the stock light is actually pretty good from my experience. In mine I have Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Java Moss, Brazilian Pennywort, and banana lilies. I am surprised the the Banana lilies are growing new leaves every week in this tank. Everything is prospering. I would think any moss would do well in the tank. I think you can maybe pull off putting an Amazon Compact sword in there? Just put in a root tab every once in a while. Any other floating plants would do great in there. (Sorry for the paragraph . . )
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 11:15 PM
Algae Grower

In mine (link in signature) I have two different types of Anubias and Starogyne Repens. There's enough light for all of them. Not counting the anubias on the left the others are of the same line. The ones near the surface have lots of tiny leaves and short stems whereas the ones under and around the driftwood have larger leaves and longer stems.

The repens is happy. It grows well enough and it has needed trimming on occasion. Picked up both from Petsmart. Tank is just over a month old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Octantis; 02-20-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Fixed poor sentence structure.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode