.9g Pico - Marina Cubus - On the cheap. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
.9g Pico - Marina Cubus - On the cheap.

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd share my Cubus with the world. I'd wanted one of these little tanks for a while, but never pulled the trigger. Plus right now I'm gathering bits for my Aquatop "Eurostyle" 8.7g Bowfront, so I wasn't planning on starting on any other projects until I finished with that one. But as we all know... *insert preferred quote about best intentions*.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I was walking through my apartment complex going to get the mail, and I saw a white box sitting on the curb in front of a dumpster. As I got closer I saw the Marina Cubus box, and was intrigued. I honestly expected the box to be empty, or filled with dog poo, but NO! Inside was the .9g cube, the lid, and the original light! I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! Other than needing a little cleaning, everything was PERFECT. Needless to say, I forgot about the Aquatop Bowfront, and went cube crazy! I always imagined how cool one of these would be, lushly planted and home to a few cherries. Ohhh, the possibilities!

I know I want some kind of carpet up front, just not sure what (HC?, glosso?, marsilea minuta?) and I'd like to re-home my c. parva into the Cubus. Oh, and I also picked up an Anubias Nana Petite for it.

Tank: Marina Cubus (5.9" x 5.9" x 5.9")

Substrate: Certified Pre-Owned Aquasiol Amazonia mixed with Aquasoil Power Sand (thanks Sumer!)

Lighting: Deep Blue Professional SolarFlare Micro LED (3W 6700K)

Flora: c. parva
Anubias nana petite
Elocharis acicularis (Dwarf Hairgrass)
(Ludwigia arcuata (Needle Leaf Ludwiga)
Fauna: Cherry Shrimp... eventually

On to some pics.

Initial scape with what I had lying around. meh.

Added some sticks. more meh.

I wanted more depth and more elevation variety, so I decided to start over. I went for a walk and found some cool rocks...

Getting better, we'll see. I like the strong leading diagonal line that the rocks make (ugh, I can feel all those design classes swirling in my sub-conscious. Stupid BFA degree).

I hope to get it planted this weekend. This will be my first DSM attempt, so we'll see how it goes. Please let me know what you think!

Josh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Board Member

Auqatop Bowfront (9g) | Fluval Chi (5g) | Current Solo (5g) | Classic Chrome Rim (5g) | JBJ Picotope (3g) | Humidor (1.25 g) | 2x Marina Cubus (.9g) [ Threads:
|
]

Last edited by nomad1721; 03-14-2014 at 02:36 AM. Reason: added more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like the last one.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplomado View Post
I like the last one.
I do too, it looks more interesting and it should look good with plants as well.
Good luck...

FISHY

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, the scape is really growing on me! I got my light today (actually it came yesterday, but my neighbor thought we were still out of town so she grabbed the box). I think I'm going to be really happy with it, it's exactly what I was hoping for, and should be more than bright enough for whatever I throw in there.

I also picked up some Ludwiga arcuata (Needle Leaf Ludwiaga) from a friend to use as a background plant. If it grows as fast as it did in one of my old tanks, I'm going to have to trim it everyday, lol.

Lastly, I settled on a foreground plant, elocharis acicularis. It's been a very long time since I've had Dwarf Hairgrass in one of my tanks, so I decided to give it a shot. I actually bought it from Petsmart (*hangs head in shame). I never buy plants from there, I always go with a LFS or a local member, but they had a package of the tissue cultured DHG on clearance for $2 so I took a shot since it was already growing emersed. The package is half brown, but I'm pretty sure I'll have more than enough to plant the front section of the tank and still have some left over.

I'm hoping to have some free time tomorrow to get the tank all planted!

|
- Board Member

Auqatop Bowfront (9g) | Fluval Chi (5g) | Current Solo (5g) | Classic Chrome Rim (5g) | JBJ Picotope (3g) | Humidor (1.25 g) | 2x Marina Cubus (.9g) [ Threads:
|
]
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Somebody just left a perfectly good pico out?
Oh... I bet they tried keeping goldfish or something and totally failed...
But you have a great scape going with those rocks!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 06:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
i really like the way the last pic is. i can see something awesome with the lay out of it
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Agreed, that last hardscape is awesome

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Somebody just left a perfectly good pico out?
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Oh... I bet they tried keeping goldfish or something and totally failed...
But you have a great scape going with those rocks!
I was thinking the same thing. Someone probably wanted something they could put on their coffee table and forget about, and just gave up eventually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i really like the way the last pic is. i can see something awesome with the lay out of it
Thanks! I like it a lot, I hope to have some new pics soon. I think it's going to look really good with plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave View Post
Agreed, that last hardscape is awesome
Thank you!

|
- Board Member

|
]
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Started planting finally, better late then never, right?

Anubias Nana Petite is hidden in a dark corner, and the C. Parva is positioned to get the most light, right under the fixture.

Started in on the DHG. I have a newfound respect for anyone that has ever or will ever attempt to plant stems individually. It looks good, but wow is it tedious! And this was just in a 2" x 5" area!!! Now I'm dreading planting my 8.7g. I want a nice big HC carpet over about half of it, and THAT is going to take forever to plant! The things we do for the hobby, haha!

*separate stems with tweezers, make a hole in substrate with chopstick, plant DHG in hole with tweezers, pray DHG doesn't stick to tweezers, refill remaining hole, separate stems with tweezers, make a hole in substrate with chopstick, plant DHG in hole with tweezers, pray DHG doesn't stick to tweezers, refill remaining hole, separate stems with tweezers, make a hole in substrate with chopstick, plant DHG in hole with tweezers, pray DHG doesn't stick to tweezers, refill remaining hole, separate stems with tweezers, make a hole in substrate with chopstick, plant DHG in hole with tweezers, pray DHG doesn't stick to tweezers, refill remaining hole,...*

I just have to finish planting the DHG (maybe tonight, but most likely tomorrow), and get the Needle Leaf Ludwiga planted along the back wall. Almost there!

|
- Board Member

|
]
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 AM
Algae Grower

How do you plan to cut the hairgrass?

Won't quarters be a bit tight to get some scissors down there?

Just wondering for when I try something similar.

Oh and your hard scape has finally given me inspiration on a fluval spec that's been sitting in a corner that I picked up off Craig'slist on the cheap. Thanks.

Last edited by Octantis; 02-19-2014 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Added more words.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octantis View Post
Won't quarters be a bit tight to get some scissors down there?

Just wondering for when I try something similar.

Oh and your hard scape has finally given me inspiration on a fluval spec that's been sitting in a corner that I picked up off Craig'slist on the cheap. Thanks.
Yeah, it will be difficult. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get in there with some small wave scissors, like these. Otherwise, I was thinking of trying some Candlewick Scissors. I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get there, I guess. Any one else have any suggestions?

Glad I could pass on a little inspiration to you. Good luck on the Spec (which size is it, btw?), I hope you'll post pics!

|
- Board Member

|
]

Last edited by nomad1721; 02-19-2014 at 07:05 AM. Reason: grammar
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Looks good. Always liked the 0.9 Cubus, I've setup quite a few. I found the lower maintenance I kept it the longer I've kept it, especially if you have other setups.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I keep seeing more of these little cubes popping up! I have two Marina cubes, the one you have, and another that's about 1 inch larger in all dimensions (both free-bees from my nieces' betta keeping attempts). I'm really getting an itch to seriously scape and plant them now! Currently they are holding tanks for left over mosses, marimo, and grow out for java fern plantlets sooo not much to look at...

Be sure to keep us updated with photos as you add plants and watch it grow in ^^

I'm curious as a no-tech(?) how often will you do water changes? Does the substrate you have leech ammonia to self-cycle the tiny tank, or will you do pure ammonia add in, or fauna in cycling?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Once you add some substrate and hardcape there is actually very little water in there, so you'll have to add probably once a week. I do that on my no tech pico setups. A few of my Cubus setups can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8972208...7632431047441/
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Once you add some substrate and hardcape there is actually very little water in there, so you'll have to add probably once a week. I do that on my no tech pico setups. A few of my Cubus setups can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8972208...7632431047441/
Holy craps those are beauitful!! What are the different lights used on those?

I was curious about cycling/keeping ammonia levels low for fauna like shrimp as I've never kept anything live in a no tech pico yet (excluding pond snails that wonder in... but those could survive anything for water conditions it seems).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode