Size Counts - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What range in tank size would you consider a freshwater nano tank?
tanks 20 gallons or less in volume 0 0%
tanks 12 gallons or less in volume 3 15.00%
tanks 10 gallons or less in volume 10 50.00%
tanks 5.5 gallons or less in volume 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Size Counts

I'm new to the forum and just want to know, what constitues a nano tank? Is there a range in volume for this size of tank or maybe is it the tank's foot print? How about pico? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think a nano reef tank is 55gal and less. But the tanks in this subforum are 12gal or less, and most are 5.5 gal and smaller. Pico's tanks would be around a liter or less. These are just my observations and welcome to the planted tank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Personally I feel nano planted tanks to me are anything under 9.9g. I persoanlly don't constitue my 10g as a nano. I will say I like to think of my Mr Aqua 12g long (36" x 8" x 9" roughly) as a nano at times though .

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I'd say 10 or under is a nano, and Pico is 3 gallons and under. That being said, one of my favorite sizes to play with is the 1/2 gallon and under group
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
I have read in multiple places that nano is anything under 20 gallons. I personally think of nano as anything less than 10 gallons. its all subjective.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Change this into a poll and we will find out. I saw for freshwater a nano is under 10g

|
|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

I tend to think of nanos as being anything noticibly under a 5.5 gallon...mostly because that is the smallest tank I currently own. I can't imagine why a sub-55 gallon saltwater setup would be considered a nano, since they don't pose the same problems as a freshwater nano (I.E unstable environment) until you get close to the freshwater nano size.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jamesyu Send a message via Yahoo to jamesyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grah the great View Post
I tend to think of nanos as being anything noticibly under a 5.5 gallon...mostly because that is the smallest tank I currently own. I can't imagine why a sub-55 gallon saltwater setup would be considered a nano, since they don't pose the same problems as a freshwater nano (I.E unstable environment) until you get close to the freshwater nano size.

This is my understanding:
marine:
30 Gallons to 15 Gal are considered Nano Reefs
15 to 2 Gallons are considered Pico Reefs

FW:
x < 10 = Nano
x < 3 = Pico

at least that's what I've read around.

My Biocube 29 was considered a nano reef and that thing cost me a bundle =)

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I consider any tank under 10 gallons to be a nano.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Algae Grower

Arbitrary

I like the arbitrary < 10g is nano and < 3g is pico. Why? Because that makes my 2-3 g bowls pico, and that sounds more exotic than nano However, usually when I think "pico" I think of 1g or less. Is there an international standards association for aquascapes? You know, a bunch of stuffy old men in Tweed jackets, smoking pipes, muttering about the heresy of dirted tanks?

Why is the "next" tank, always the most interesting?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jamesyu Send a message via Yahoo to jamesyu
Bingo....

Sent from my SM-N900P
Excuse the typos
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I asked this same question a few weeks ago. Would be nice if someone did do a poll or something to get some type of consensus and sticky it.

3 Gal Betta Tank | 10 Gal Shrimp/Fry Tank |
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nano < 10G
Pico < 3G

This is what I have consistently seen discussed over the years.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 04:50 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyu View Post
This is my understanding:
marine:
30 Gallons to 15 Gal are considered Nano Reefs
15 to 2 Gallons are considered Pico Reefs

FW:
x < 10 = Nano
x < 3 = Pico

at least that's what I've read around.

My Biocube 29 was considered a nano reef and that thing cost me a bundle =)
I would agree with this. Saltwater gets much more difficult in smaller tanks and small problems get out of hand very quickly.

My 29 gallon reef is a daily source of frustration. I'm so close to just shutting it down.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added a Poll

By popular demand, I posted a poll for selecting the size limit of a nano freshwater tank. I used 20L and 60P tanks as the 1st level, 12L tanks as level 2, standard 10 gallon as 3rd cut off and standard 5.5 gallon as level 4. Don't think I have the option to post another poll for pico so, someone else would have to compose that question. Please vote everybody.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode