CO2 in a 2.5 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 in a 2.5

is it wise or common to use DIY co2 on a 2.5 gallon nano? I have the 27w home depot light ( from walmart actually ). also, in general, should co2 be dosed overnight as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You can use DIY CO2 24/7, usually even with 100% diffusion you can't get high enough CO2 to cause any harm for your fish. What people usually do with DIY CO2, since you can't turn it off, is to have an airstone running about an hour before lights turn off, and until the next morning when the lights turn back on. This gasses out the excess CO2 at night time when the plants aren't photosynthesizing, but producing CO2 themselves.

I have the same set-up as you, 2.5 gallon, 27w homedepot light, and I run 2x 2l DIY CO2, but that's only cause there's no livestock.

One 2 litre DIY CO2 bottle is fine for a 2.5 gallon.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekstr View Post
You can use DIY CO2 24/7, usually even with 100% diffusion you can't get high enough CO2 to cause any harm for your fish. What people usually do with DIY CO2, since you can't turn it off, is to have an airstone running about an hour before lights turn off, and until the next morning when the lights turn back on. This gasses out the excess CO2 at night time when the plants aren't photosynthesizing, but producing CO2 themselves.

I have the same set-up as you, 2.5 gallon, 27w homedepot light, and I run 2x 2l DIY CO2, but that's only cause there's no livestock.

One 2 litre DIY CO2 bottle is fine for a 2.5 gallon.
do you run the co2 into the impeller of the filter or use a diffuser?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I originally ran it under a bell.

But it took up a lot of space in the tank and was always in the way, so I just put the CO2 airline under the filter intake so the impeller does the diffusing.

Don't really notice any difference.

See my "2.5g" signature for info.

Remember, there's lots of ways to diffuse CO2 into the water.
Just be careful--lots of horror stories of CO2 yeast water being sucked into the tank because of too powerful suction from a powerhead / filter. A check-valve or an extra empty bottle between the tank and bottle is helpful in preventing these accidents.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Use a glass ceramic diffuser or wood airstone, they produce very fine bubbles. This is very effective and you don't have to worry about other problems such as the filter sucking in sugar/yeast solution.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
i tried a rhinox 2k in a 2.5 with diy co2 (2 1L bottles) and had no luck getting co2 dissolved in my water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I am running a hose into my red sea nano filter from a 20oz bottle and my plants are pearling in my 2.5g
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I am running a hose into my red sea nano filter from a 20oz bottle and my plants are pearling in my 2.5g
prolly not pearling, just the tiny bubbles coming out of the filter being stuck on the plant leaves.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I use a ceramic diffuser with DIY CO2 as I mentioned earlier and HC pearl every day!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
prolly not pearling, just the tiny bubbles coming out of the filter being stuck on the plant leaves.
I had DIY CO2 into the intake of my Azoo Palm filter, and I assure you, plants pearled. Now I have pressurized CO2 for my nano tank since I just run it off a manifold from the large tank...much more consistent.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
i tried a rhinox 2k in a 2.5 with diy co2 (2 1L bottles) and had no luck getting co2 dissolved in my water.
Bsmith, did you try a smaller rhinox? Im using a nano ceramic diffuser I got off ebay (its a rhinox knock-off) and the small ceramic plate size allows for enough pressure that I get a ton of tiny bubbles from my 1-litre DIY bottle.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have DIY CO2 with nano diffuser on my 3.5 gal nano and all my plants pearl. I have a 24 watt 6700k PC bulb. CO2 runs 24/7 and shrimp and micro rasboras are all doing fine.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode