moving nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
moving nano

I have to move my 3g back home for the christmas break. All my plants are grown in well and I dont wanna mess with taking them out and replanting them all. Can I just drain the water, put some wet newspaper over them and go home? Its about a 7-8hr drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would just drain the tank to a few inches of water and secure the lid down (might help to use saran wrap or the like) and carry it out like that. I would NOT advise keeping fish in the tank during the move, I think I killed one of my cories that way. But a few inches of water ought to keep the plants pretty damp, the newspaper really becomes optional at that point.
This is the method I used to move my 10 gal down to school and the method I will use again when I, too, have to move my tank home for the holidays (back to more tanks so I can work on spawning some fish!).
Hope that helps,
Gary
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Ill plan on just kepping barely any water in it, with some wet newspaper on top just for the leaves. The fish will be in bags.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:30 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Country Road take me home!!!!

Ok, I have some experience moving fish back and form from SC to VA and back multiple times. With your plants, the method described is probably going to be the best, you could also insert something lik popsicle sticks lengthwise in the gravel to give it some support. What type of plants do you have? If they have deep roots you don't have to worry too much, but if they are surface rooters you may have a problem. As far as the fish are concerned I placed mine either in a 4 gallon trash can with 3/4 water in it, or divided them up between 1 gallon rubbermaid containers (holes in the lids of course). My bettas were easier to transport however, I just saved their cups and placed them in them whenever I had to commute. What kind of fish do you have? I would recommend the Rubbermaid if they aren't too big, or too many, that way you still have a little air flow. Do you have or know of anyone who can give you kordon breathing bags? Then you could just transport the fish in that with no problem. Oh and you could also use the damp newspaper between the plants and that should help any stem plants you have not to uproot so bad in transition...

Kevin

Sheer Madness!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

I have a beta and 3 cherry barbs. I was thinking of putting the beta in a thermos and the cherry barbs in bags.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hmm... What are you planning to do with the thermos? Are you going to close the lid or leave it open? If there is an LFS close by you could possibly ask them for a betta cup if they have them, most of those fit nicely in a cup holder. As far as the Barbs go, I don't see a problem with Bags, after all, they mostly spend at least 24-36 hours en route whenever they're shipped to the stores... However, just make sure there is a good bit of air space for them to breath, or you could use the ziploc bags that have the slide locks on them, then you could periodically open the bags to let fresh air in... Just a thought....

Sheer Madness!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode