Looking for someone that makes custom small tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looking for someone that makes custom small tank

Does anyone know a place that will do an affordable small custom tanks? All Iíve found is places that will do 100 gallon tanks. I'm looking at starting a planted shrimp tank to fit on my desk below y bookshelf.

I'm thinking about getting something that has the same footprint as a 15" long with the dimensions being something like 24Ēw x 12Ē-13Ēd but only 10Ēh. Iíve checked out glasscages.com but they only have a 6Ē high or 13Ē and they wonít do customs on something that small. I know people make them themselves but I donít trust myself and I donít want gallons of water dumping all over my computer.

I love streamline look of the tanks without the black frames but I will settle for a standard black frame tank. I need a lid to keep the cat from fishing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Martina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (25/100%)
glasscages.com
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ya, I tried them and they won't do small tanks.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Martina,

While this ... Finnex Aquarium ... is smaller than you were originally talking about, it has the 10" high dimension you mentioned and it seems to me that it would fit the bill for a planted shrimp tank. I've ordered one of them to go on the lamp table between my wife's and my chairs in the living room, and it's due to arrive on Monday. It will be set up as a planted shrimp tank.

I've currently got a 2 gallon (8"x8"x8") planted shrimp tank next to my computer desk.

It's small, and the moss wall hasn't grown in yet, but it gives me great pleasure when I look up from the 'puter and see the critters scurrying around.

Keep Smilin'
John

"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
.................................John Wayne
disclaimer: When I took "The Dukes" quote as my signature, I was thinking of me, not you.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Planted Member

Ask your LFS if they do custom sized tanks. If you visit enough, you may get lucky to find someone who deals with custom sized nano-tanks.

--Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDave View Post
glasscages.com
I bought there frames and made my own. Glass was to high priced to ship. Used a corner paint tool to smooth glue.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to dirkgent001
Martina,

I was at Petco today and saw they have a 6.6 gallon "Bookshelf" aquarium set for like $50 ish? Acrylic bowfront w/ top light fixture. Dimensions were approx.
24" x 8" x 9", something like that. It MIGHT be just what you need. I can't find it on their site, but I did find this review on another forum:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...d.php?t=120991

Looks like a great nano tank tank to me, with a unique footprint. I personally prefer this over a cube as it gives your fish more swimming room.

Good Luck
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow, i want this. I'd use it as a planted shrimp tank, rimless of course with hanging pendand lights.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I bought one of those a couple months back to set up as an iwagumi-ish tank. I finally set it up "dry," planted with HC. Haven't even upgraded the lighting yet although I've got an AHS kit to do that eventually. Half the HC is doing real well, the rest that's in a bit more water, not so good. We'll see.

But if you've got the length as it's about 2 foot long I think it's a great size. My eventual intention is to make this a Betta tank, I've got it sitting by my computer also right now. It isn't rimless and it has a very slight bowfront. However the "rim" that's on it just lifts off and I was pleasantly surprised at the thickness of the acrylic used. You might be able to get away without the rim, especially since it's a somewhat low tank at a bit over 9" tall.

SlŠinte!
Cindy

-
ó 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

ó lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Great find... Running out to get one.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
Thats I have been thinking Im going to start making nano acrylic tanks. And also custom orders.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInFlorida View Post
Martina,

While this ... Finnex Aquarium ... is smaller than you were originally talking about, it has the 10" high dimension you mentioned and it seems to me that it would fit the bill for a planted shrimp tank. I've ordered one of them to go on the lamp table between my wife's and my chairs in the living room, and it's due to arrive on Monday. It will be set up as a planted shrimp tank.

I've currently got a 2 gallon (8"x8"x8") planted shrimp tank next to my computer desk.

It's small, and the moss wall hasn't grown in yet, but it gives me great pleasure when I look up from the 'puter and see the critters scurrying around.

Keep Smilin'
John
Very handsome little tank John. I have to have a lid because I have a cat who has decided to take up the hobby with me. Tonight I was working on my 5 gallon and had the hood propped up. I left for two seconds and when I come back she knocked the light that was on into the aquarium. She has fallen into my 28 gallon tank twice while I was working on it. If I get anything bigger Iím going to have to make her walk around with swimmies on.

Martina
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Ask your LFS if they do custom sized tanks. If you visit enough, you may get lucky to find someone who deals with custom sized nano-tanks.

That is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks,

Martina
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkgent001 View Post
Martina,

I was at Petco today and saw they have a 6.6 gallon "Bookshelf" aquarium set for like $50 ish? Acrylic bowfront w/ top light fixture. Dimensions were approx.
24" x 8" x 9", something like that. It MIGHT be just what you need. I can't find it on their site, but I did find this review on another forum:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...d.php?t=120991

Looks like a great nano tank tank to me, with a unique footprint. I personally prefer this over a cube as it gives your fish more swimming room.

Good Luck
I have been looking at this tank. I like the layout and the unique proportions I just wish it were for less money without the crummy filter, plastic plants, and fake rock. I also heard that the plastic tank is kind of cheap and that some are scratched before they are even taken out of the box. So if you get one make sure you check it before you buy it.

I might still get it because the layout is neat. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Martina
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 03:03 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to dirkgent001
yeah,

if I were to get this, certainly check the tank before buying, and likely get a Tom's Rapids or Zoo Med 501 canister filter. Then of course, some new lighting

I guess $50 is expensive if you want it just for the tank itself.. but would a custom tank the same dimensions be comparable? hmm....

... Madfish??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode