Planned office nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planned office nano

Hey everyone.

So while my partner and I have 2 nano tanks and a 55gal that we're setting up, I'm researching an all-in-one-ish nano kit to have at my desk at work. I'd like to stick with a glass tank, 5 gallon "max" (mostly for lower quantity changes), and footprint is virtually limitless for a 5 gallon tank with plenty of unused desk space.

I plan to have some java moss and frill as the majority of the plants, maybe a ghost shrimp or two and either a small school of tetras or a 3rd rescue-betta.

I'm currently settling the ecoexotic ecopico but I can't find anything on the stock filter outside of "I replaced it with this or that" and "the current was too strong for my betta."

So on the ecopico, how bad is the filter? Are there other glass kits that are at/less that price point that don't require any further replacement parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two_Otters View Post
Hey everyone.

So while my partner and I have 2 nano tanks and a 55gal that we're setting up, I'm researching an all-in-one-ish nano kit to have at my desk at work. I'd like to stick with a glass tank, 5 gallon "max" (mostly for lower quantity changes), and footprint is virtually limitless for a 5 gallon tank with plenty of unused desk space.

I plan to have some java moss and frill as the majority of the plants, maybe a ghost shrimp or two and either a small school of tetras or a 3rd rescue-betta.

I'm currently settling the ecoexotic ecopico but I can't find anything on the stock filter outside of "I replaced it with this or that" and "the current was too strong for my betta."

So on the ecopico, how bad is the filter? Are there other glass kits that are at/less that price point that don't require any further replacement parts?
I know you say 5 gallon max, but I think the 6 gal Fluval Edge is awesome.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Maybe with the ceiling cut off of it... Part of the open roof preference is for an ease of maintenance.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Maybe with the ceiling cut off of it... Part of the open roof preference is for an ease of maintenance.
I'm sure with plants and a cleanup crew, small fish... You can manage minimum maintenance?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
The Fluvial Spec V is 5.6 gallons, comes with everything except heather.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Spec V is on the list of possible solutions already, but I want more info on all of the options before I make a decision, hence the questions about the filter on the EcoPico. Any info on what it is exactly? All I can find is "standard sponge filter" which is insultingly vague.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
The Spec V is on the list of possible solutions already, but I want more info on all of the options before I make a decision, hence the questions about the filter on the EcoPico. Any info on what it is exactly? All I can find is "standard sponge filter" which is insultingly vague.
Maybe it just has a mechanic sponge filter and that's it. Or has a sponge/carbon/media combination.

http://www.ecoxotic.com/community/wp...ifications.pdf

Not much on specs... 80gph flow rate.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Reviewers on Amazon say it only comes with a sponge.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I love my fluval spec 3, and the 5 is supposed to be similar. Uses a sponge for mechanical, but has two cut outs for their bio filter, and for a bag of carbon. I would trade out the carbon for some Purigen, and bag some bio matrix for the other, rather than using the stuff that comes with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Algae Grower

I have a deep blue professionals nano and I love it. The included a 12x12x12 (7.5gl I believe) rimless tank with their biomaxx 10 filter and Solar flair mini led. They also make an 8x8x8 and 6x6x6. So far I love everything about it. I added a fluval nano co2 and dose with ferts and my plants have been growing like crazy.

Most of the all inclusive nano kits I read about needed either an updated filter or better lights for plant growth. From my experience and others I have talked to about this nano the only upgrade anyone cared to do was a canister filter. I actually like the biomaxx filter, even though it does hang off the back. It is made of clear plastic so it looks nice goes well with the sleek look of the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode