Zen Nano Planted Office Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Zen Nano Planted Office Tank

So I've got a bunch of extra substrate from my 16G planted redux and decided to set up another tank in the office.

Here's what I have coming so far:
http://www.truaqua.com/zen-nano-glas...ium-zn-5g.html
http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-led-light-nano-tp.html

I'll be adding in about an inch of Flourite capped with some river rocks, and plan on hosting both some golden snails, cherry reds, and an assortment of plants (mosses and stems) transplanted from the other tanks. I'll be using a home baked yeast reactor for CO2 supplementation. Going to be interesting playing around with the internal filter on the truaqua tanks - probabally going to stick with some dental floss in the first basket, and fill the rest with matrix - initial water/biomedia will be coming off the other tanks.

Going to be interesting to see the light output of the type-p led's and see what type of growth I can expect in the office. Will update with pictures and whatnot as the parts arrive in the next few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks interesting. The site you listed has some pretty cheap stuff! I'm going to go dig around on there for a bit ^_^

-Eric
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have one myself, chose the the 3 gallon, wish I would've went with the five. Nice tank though.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've got some nice pieces of driftwood laying around and am thinking about maybe doing an underwater root scape. Looking forward to getting the tank and start arranging the hardscape
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some pictures. The tank just arrived. Probably put the substrate down tomorrow and let the substrate outgass.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
You are going to get good light output from the Nano Type-P; I have it also on my office desk tank. There are some pics of the light and tank in my Mini-M journal towards the end.

20g High Tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini-M Low Tech Desk Tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Had the plants in a holding tank too long, didn't fertilize so are a bit yellow. Expecting them to bounce back now they are being properly nutrified.

|
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Had a bit of a rough start with the tank. The impeller didn't seem to want to turn. Took the impeller out and covered it with petroleum jelly, and added some to the drive shaft as well. Filter working fine ever since.

I added a finnex PX-360 canister from one of my other tanks onto the tank to increase the overall filtration of the system and to help establish the bacteria colonies.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10ppm

Doing a daily dose PPS and the plants seem to be picking up.

|
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The room is getting pretty hot - its Florida. So I added a small chiller to the tank. Since this is a desk tank, I decided to go with one of these:

csxc-1-aquarium-chiller

Small compact, and keeps the tank at a nice 73 degrees in a room around 85 degrees.

|
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
The tank is looking good so far. I have the complete opposite problem. My house is so cold that I had to add a second heater to my 29g to keep it up to 75 degrees. It needs to warm up lol

-Eric
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What's that fish in the tank?

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Little black moscow guppy frys. Once they get big enough they're going back in the community tank.

I think this tank just became the unofficial fry grow out tank :P

|
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting, have a shot of the tank with the chiller on it? Don't think I'll need one, but I'm curious how it looks.

Other than the initial impeller issue, how does the filtration look? This is an interesting setup, it looks like they're trying to do something similar to the Fluval Spec tanks.

I've been wanting to set up a cube; I'm torn between something like this (or another Edge) and one of TruAqua's low iron Cube tanks (4 or 7 gallons, I guess), and adding my own filter of some sort.

That Fluorite looks an awful lot like Eco Complete.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan_XE View Post
I have one myself, chose the the 3 gallon, wish I would've went with the five. Nice tank though.
The 5 Gallon is $54 with free shipping. Am I clear, it includes tank, filter and light? Some one tell me not to do this. This is a support group, right?

farmhand aka Clifford aka Grandpa

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamebard View Post
The room is getting pretty hot - its Florida. So I added a small chiller to the tank. Since this is a desk tank, I decided to go with one of these:

csxc-1-aquarium-chiller

Small compact, and keeps the tank at a nice 73 degrees in a room around 85 degrees.
That chiller is only going to quicken the time it takes for the water to equalize with the ambient room temperature. Unless I'm missing something, it's only a nice fan.

farmhand aka Clifford aka Grandpa

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode