Newbie's Nano tank (5 gallons) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie's Nano tank (5 gallons)

I have this marine land Eclipse corner 5 gallon tank. It used to be a fish only tank with a cave, a snail shell, a bamboo setup and few plastic plants. I got to know this site few days back and wanted to try a planted tank. Once again, I am totally new to this and have no idea what I am doing. This morning I went to local stores and few chains(pet smart, petco). I got 15lbs fluorite, a drift wood from walmart, 10w compact florescent bulb and few plants(money wort, rotala and other I don't know); are these recommend plants? I used to have polished gravel before and there is no water clouding. The fluorite is extremely muddy and clouded my tank. To the driftwood, I placed some Java moss and tied it with a cotton thread(does it grown on this driftwood?)

Current setup:

5 gallon tank(Inbuilt 3 stage filter)
Pen plax 50W heater.
No co2( I can't put any co2 in there, as the hood doesn't have space to put the tube in...) Can I use flourish excel?
few plants.

Let me know if my plants survive with this setup.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5966.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	4624  

Last edited by denrama; 11-05-2007 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you're off to a decent start. Flourite will cloud your water pretty badly if you don't wash it before using it. The plants you have chosen will work fine. They tend to grow fast, so they are a good choice for the start of a tank. The moss will attach itself to the wood after a while, so just leave it tied on there. Excel is a good alternative source of carbon, and it will be relatively inexpensive to dose it on a 5 gallon. Hope this helps. Keep us updated.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, man. I really appreciate it. I really gone mad with the nano tank setup. I really liked the nano tanks of other people here and wanted to try this weekend. I have been reading other posters nano journals. I am so obsessed with it now. I spent 60$ today for plants, driftwood, substrate. Not sure how much more I need to spend to save these plants. One thing I cannot understand how these people setup plants in such a small place? While planting these plants, I really got frustrated; they just don't sit in the substrate and floats around. Do you think the java moss grows on that drift wood?

Last edited by denrama; 11-05-2007 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Spelling

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I would think the moss will grow there. Java moss is pretty undemanding. As far as the other plants, it can be tricky with such a small area. That's one reason why people tend to choose smaller plants for nanos. There are a few different ways to help keep the plants in the substrate. Many people find it easier to use tweezers or other planting tools. Others leave the material that hold the bunches together when you purchase the plants on as an anchor. Just keep trying until you find the way that works best for you. I'm glad you're having fun and becoming obsessed like most of the rest of us!

Mike

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Yeah! that's what I did. First, I tried to separate plant bunch and try to plant it individually, but it is so hard. I left the binding thing that came from the store. If these plants survive, I will get to know more about other plants that these people are using. Probably, I will trade my left over substrate for good plants (I have over 7-8lbs of substrate left(Seachem fluorite ).
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

I guess nobody liked my tank setup. The center piece doesn't look good. Well, I suck at aquascaping. People are really talented here. I am so jealous of all these nano tanks. Some day I will break into one of these people's home and steal a nano... heeeeeeee
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think that piece of wood looks great. One thing that may help make it look better is offsetting it to the side instead of right in the middle. If you keep the focus off of the middle, it will make it more interesting to look at. If you want to know more creating a good looking aquascape, read up on composing photographs. The same basic rules apply, which is mainly what's known as the rule of thirds.

Right now, you're in the same boat I was about two months ago. The best thing I've done is to just read, read, read. Then, figure out what changes you need to make to get your plants to grow well. After that you can start expanding/changing your plant list and/or equipment.

Good luck and keep us updated.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Update 03/01/2008

Here is an update.

Many things happened during these 4 months. Plants are growing slowly. My Red Ludwiga and Moneyworts melted like butter. Rotala, Java fern, Dwarf Sag, Java Moss, Anubias nano survived. My Ghost Shimp is AWOL for a month. I cannot see it no where. Mr Betta must have had it as a snack. I recently added 2 otto fish. Mr Betta is chasing them, but I guess they will learn to live with him.

I am not sure what I have it(plant) on the left side of the tank. It is a crypt with long roots...

Here are some pics.

Heeeee.....

Once I switched off all lights, Mr Betta got really mad and is cruising 100 mph. It was hilarious to see him getting mad!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6151 (Medium).JPG
Views:	224
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	6356  

Name:	IMG_6142 (Medium).JPG
Views:	133
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	6357  

Name:	IMG_6153 (Medium).JPG
Views:	181
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	6358  

Name:	IMG_6131.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	6359  

Last edited by denrama; 03-02-2008 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Mr Betta is Mad!!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/67%)
looks awesome!
good job.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:00 PM

Looks Really Nice.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Ah! thanks for your comments. Does anyone know what kind of plant I have in on the left side of the tank?

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Can you get a closeup of one? I can't tell if its a stem or not?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Algae Grower

It looks good. The plants look healthy.

5g Hex, planted-bee shrimp, oto

10g, planted-white clouds, platy, cories, shrimp, snails, algae...

~1g bowl - duckweed, male betta
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:58 AM

Looks really nice, be sure to do at least 15% water changes weekly. I know some suggest not to for low light tanks, but if you are going to keep a betta in there I strongly suggest it. Bettas for the most part are hardy and go for long periods without water changes( not something that I would recommend and consider it cruel), but they are also highly susceptible to Fin and Tail Rot and this often results from poor water quality, This happened to one betta that I had which died because I decided to experiment with no water changes for a low maintenance 5 gallon hex tank. No problems, when I was doing weekly water changes. When I decided to wait a month for a water change, he developed fin and tail rot which I don't believe was just a coincidence. The tank was highly planted and he was not overfed.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments and concerns. Yes, usually i do weekly water change(20-40%), but sometimes, I can go up to 3 weeks. My betta didn't appear sick or anything. I got one more bowl(2 gallons) that is a home for another male betta(no heater, no filter). The one in the bowl is very active, but it had a fin rot. I used to do a weekly water change(usually dump the whole water out; 100% replacement). I am planning to convert this into a planted bowl, but I don't know what I can do with the filter... Does a red sea compact filter work on this bowl(bowl had a curvature). 7.5 watt heater(hydor?) does seemed right for this bowl.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode