THEORETICAL self-feeding tank idea - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
THEORETICAL self-feeding tank idea

Okay... This is just an idea, not something that I can do at the moment.
Let's say I got a 10g or similar size and planted it heavily. Let's say I then dumped a bunch of cherry shrimp in there, fed them a bit until they had a nice little population going, then added a scarlet badis and kept the tank near a window.
The badis would eat the baby cherry shrimp, and being so tiny I'd think it wouldn't need too terribly many to be full. Being near a window would grow algae, and that plus the plant gunk might feed the shrimp...
Or would a 10g be too small to support enough cherry shrimp for the babies to feed a badis? I know I've heard of tanks where a little school of microrasoras or a badis are eating nothing but microfauna... Could this be achieved with cherry shrimp babies as food?
Only theoretical, I can't set up another tank and I doubt I can feed 50 microrasboras with the cherry shrimp that can live in a 29 biocube. Would this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
If the fish eat all the shrimplets there is no chance for them to grow and produce more shrimp.
I don't know if this will work or not but you can link a refugium to your tank that give a chance for the shrimp to breed.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:29 AM
Planted Member

Smile

hmmn! very interesting. long time ago my mother kept an open top 20g tank with 3 little gold fish in our back yard every summer. Personally I didn't like it cuz it looks so unsightly with all sides covered with algae and the only way you will see the fish was from the open top but as far as I know, she never feed it anything. I always assume they get their food from just whatever fell on the water. Maybe there's more to it than that. it would be interesting to see somebody do such an experiment

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I'd think that if you had a lot of adults at first, they'd keep breeding, like how people raise chickens for eggs. Plus, if you just had the one little badis, I'd suspect that some of the fastest babies would escape.
I know goldfish in horse troughs and such feed themselves off of bugs and algae, but I was thinking more something small and indoors and less cloudy.
Maybe somebody could try this... Raise a lot of random cherry shrimp, then add a badis. You'd have to keep an eye on the badis to make sure it wasn't about to starve, but I think in a densely planted tank it could work.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

As long as the CRS could reproduce faster then the badis hunted them...it would work.. I just moved my 2 scarlets out of my PFR tank to let them up there numbers for a while before i add them back in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Why not get two tanks... one with just shrimo. The other with the mix. Once in a while, move shrimps from the shrimp tank to replenish the population
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 AM
Algae Grower

It is very possible to make a self sustaining tank like this however I do not know if this combination will work. It might but I do not know a lot about these fish. To ensure that the shrimp survive you would need to have a plant like java moss that the fry could hide in and eat.
You could have different self sustaining tanks like snails and loaches, guppies/shrimp mixed with predatory fish, goldfish or mosquito fish in a container pond, etc. If you have a way for new fish or shrimp to survive and breed then it could work.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:38 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I put a stack of lava rock in my shrimp tank. Lots of gaps in it. The shrimplets love hiding out and only come out when they are bigger. I don't have any predatory fish in the tank, but doing something like that might help the shrimplets survive.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Check out this example of a self sustaining tank
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=150555

Standard 55 gallon club... We need one of those.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode