HELP!! my aquatic plants are yellowing and wilting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
HELP!! my aquatic plants are yellowing and wilting

Hey everybody! this is my first planted tank but it is not doing very well.
The p,lants are starting to yellow and lack the desirable lush green coloration.
I have 2 Amazon compactas, 1 Wisteria, 1 Anubias Nana, 5 Dwarf sags, and 1 marimo in a 5.5 gallon betta tank.
I am using the fluval stratum substrate, adding api leaf zone weakly, started dosing co2 via diy co2 reactor, and have a 15 watt light designed for planted aquariums (which is about 3ish watts per gallon).
I do not know what is wrong!
Do I need another fertilizer?
My betta does not poop a lot. Could that be a contributing factor for the yellow leaves?
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
THANK YOU!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I hope some one other than myself chimes in here as I'm relatively new myself. But looking at the plant list u have, lighting and tank size ice say the light and lack of proper npk for there growth demands. Anubias is getting fried if its not shaded and other plants are med light demands which could also be getting to much light. Leaf zone is potassium potash I believe, not really enough if these plants are in growth overdrive
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much for the advice houbanna!

I still have a couple questions though; what is npk and would duckweed be a good shade for the plants?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Yes duckweed would shade it but also sick out the nutrients that the plants are starving for; npk. They are two groups of ferts, micros and macros. Your lacking the npk side. Pictures would helL but yellowing is definitely a nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous problem...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Duck weed will help block some light but I heard it grows fast, just will have to remove excess as it multiplies. Npk is nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Called macro nutrients which are the 3 main food groups if u will for plant growth . There is also micro nutrients, ( longer list ) which I think of them as the vitamins, they are also essential for plant growth but in trace amounts. Don't freak out and fry ur brain worring about it, just does some googling. Keep it simple. Best thing I think is find a book dedicated to aquarium plants and care. The 101 best aquarium plants by Mary E. Sweeney.. Is a cool little book that I found to be very helpful. Get it online cheaper.

Again I am not an expert but that's my thoughts. It is a good practice to list as much info on ur setup as possible so that the well experienced can properly determine each issue u have

Make sure u get some shade over ur anubias for sure. What is ur light fixture ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
For a good start just throw out the Wisteria. That plant gets much too big for a 5g.
But it is a Potassium hog also. For about the same price that you pay for liquid ferts in bottles you get a years supply of dry ones but it helps to have experience/w those.
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html
http://aquariumfertilizer.com/index....ditU=1&Regit=2
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...393&highlight=
The last one has a package deal that gives you two bottles and the dry ferts for each and tells you how to dose them. Once you learn a couple of simple things it's simpler than using dry as all the nutrients you mix in those two bottles from a pack. One is the micros and the other is the macros. The calculator for the dry ones is located on the first thread on the fert section under "yet another calculator".
Leaf Zone and Flourish Comprehensive are enough to get a good start till you can read some of the threads on the ferts section to learn what complete will be and how to use it/them. Root tabs would be more but still not complete ferts but use only as directed.
Try this plant to block some of the light. It is larger than duckweed and easier to control. Salvinia minima...Pu it into google or yahoo search and ebay has it.
BTW: Most of the advise on here is for mostly larger tanks/w lots of plants so you need to tone it down to your tank.
And moving the light higher or farther away brings down the level of it.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 01-29-2014 at 02:17 AM. Reason: BTW:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you guys soooooooo much for the answers!!!! You guysbwere such a big help !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode