5.5g CPD Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
5.5g CPD Tank

It's been set up for about a month now and has gone through a few changes, but I like the way that it is turning out And I wanted to show it off a little bit because, well I can and I like how it is evolving!

5.5g (16" x 8" x 10")
x2 13W CFL bulbs (I think...) Daylight
Organic Dirt with Black sand cap
20W Heater

Flora:
Dwarf Sag
Crypt Pava
Crypt Wendtii Green
Crypt Wendtii Brown
Green Cabomba
Rotala rotundifolia

Fauna:
x7 CPD
(soon to be 12 orange neo shrimp)

Currently:

First AquaScape:

Second:

3 Weeks after Second:

Inhabitants:

Since I first set this tank up I've started to get a LOT of more growth. I've now got almost double the amount of dwarf sag, much larger crypts, taller rotala and cabomba as well I dose with Seachem Flourish twice a week and recieved Excel (that I ordered yesterday!), so hopefully there will be some more growth! I'll keep adding as the tank progresses. I'm up for any suggestions as well

"Believe you can, and you're half way there."
~Theodore Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Do you plan on adding any more CPD's?

Also, I think more crypts would look awesome, especially when youre rocking a dirted tank! Everythings looking great!

Definitely subscribed

lol, I love commas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.b View Post
Do you plan on adding any more CPD's?

Also, I think more crypts would look awesome, especially when youre rocking a dirted tank! Everythings looking great!

Definitely subscribed

I'm thinking about adding maybe one or two more, but it really depends . Although it won't be until February until I do because the LFS has a 60% off sale then!

And yes I'm thinking about some more crypts and maybe fitting a small piece of DW in there as well to be able to put some moss on.

And thanks!

~Theodore Roosevelt

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I moved some plants around and added a crypt pontederiifolia to the tank. The cabomba keeps getting in the way so I might remove them, but I just don't know. If I do, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to put in their place?

1/28/14

Also, if I get a piece of DW I think that I am going to move the crypt pava to the front of the tank and hope that they grow/spread

~Theodore Roosevelt
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice nano tank. Have you ever thought of joining CAFE (Columbus Area Fish Enthusiasts)?

There are a few of us on planted tank plus there is a member who regularly breeds CPDs. I am getting twenty from him for a tank I'm building right now at most likely better price than aquarium adventure with 60% off.

Regardless nice to see some other local people on here. Let me know of you ever want any trimmings.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice! What filter to you use? And what kind of lighting? I have the exact same tank... With the exact same substrate lol.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunissan28 View Post
Nice nano tank. Have you ever thought of joining CAFE (Columbus Area Fish Enthusiasts)?

There are a few of us on planted tank plus there is a member who regularly breeds CPDs. I am getting twenty from him for a tank I'm building right now at most likely better price than aquarium adventure with 60% off.

Regardless nice to see some other local people on here. Let me know of you ever want any trimmings.
I've thought about it, I've just haven't done it because I won't be near here next year:P College... That sounds like a great deal though... Maybe though, I'd really love to go to some of the auctions and such!

I may hit you up on the offer some time It's always fun to try new plants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
Nice! What filter to you use? And what kind of lighting? I have the exact same tank... With the exact same substrate lol.
I have on a Aqueon 10 I think. I'm looking to getting something maybe a little larger, but it really depends and this one seems to be working very well! This is a little sad, but I have on a strip for a 10g tank just sitting on top. Once I get a little more funds I'm looking into the Finnex FugeRay for the tank. LOL, that's awesome Do you have a thread? I'd love to see it! What is your stock?

~Theodore Roosevelt
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:38 AM
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice set up ,Your strip light seems to working well .

Have you had any problems with your danios jumping?

I love danios , have only tried a few zebras for outside and they jumped.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
Nice set up ,Your strip light seems to working well .

Have you had any problems with your danios jumping?

I love danios , have only tried a few zebras for outside and they jumped.

Thank you. It doesn't look the best but it works nicely!

No I haven't had any issues. I was worried when I first put them in but if haven't had any jump. They mainly stay at the bottom and very rarely make it to the top.

~Theodore Roosevelt
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 PM

Nice tank!

I have an ecopico that's about 5 gallons as well, and I wanted to know how the CPDs are handling it. Is 7 a good number for it? How are the nitrates? What/how are you feeding them? I read that these are finicky eaters. I ask all these because I saw that my LFS had these and I wanted to start introducing them to the tank. I've finished cycling and all I have right now is a Nerite snail.

Thanks.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquale View Post
Nice tank!

I have an ecopico that's about 5 gallons as well, and I wanted to know how the CPDs are handling it. Is 7 a good number for it? How are the nitrates? What/how are you feeding them? I read that these are finicky eaters. I ask all these because I saw that my LFS had these and I wanted to start introducing them to the tank. I've finished cycling and all I have right now is a Nerite snail.

Thanks.

I just want to say that these fish are probably my favorite that I've ever owned.

They are doing great in the tank they look great and seem to be happy. 7 has been doing well, I'm actually thinking about going to 8 just to have another to spread out a little of the aggression.

To be honest it's been a while since I've tested. I used old/heavily bacteria ed filter floss. And I slowly put them in about 1-3 at a time. I do PWCs of 20ish% twice a week, but once I stop rearranging things and get some floaters I'll probably just do one 20% per week.

I feed them a pinch of Omega Color once a day, I'm looking into new life pellets. They eat them readily, I haven't had issues with feeding. They also get frozen blood worms twice a week for treats as well.

I would definitely get them! I love them--they're hilarious

~Theodore Roosevelt
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I just checked for nitrates because I was curious and I have between 5ppm and 10ppm... I'm guessing not enough? I've read that usually plants like to be in the 20ppm range (bit more or less). Is that true? I usually don't have this problem... Should I dose with something else? Stop doing as many PWCs?

Thanks

~Theodore Roosevelt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode