Opinions on starting a 7-10 Gallon Nano? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Opinions on starting a 7-10 Gallon Nano?

First time poster, long time lurker!

After getting a buddy into the fish hobby, It inspired me to take a stab at doing a nano tank of sorts once more. I have tried in the past with my tried and true 10 gallon, and did have some success. This was crippled by me moving and the tank getting bare minimum maintenance for a few months during and the plants being destroyed and the tank basically wiped clear again.

So. To my point. I wanna do a new setup, and was looking at a good nightstand or desk tank, and was looking at a few different setups, but was curious to the thoughts of those more knowledgeable than I.

Basically wanna do a tank with some basic crypts, swords, and would ideally wanna do a carpet of Dwarf Hairgrass. Almost got it to work in my 10 gallon before the tank bombed out. I also tend to buy plants based on the LFS selection as opposed to a preset list, so some flexibility will be in the plant selection.

Only inhabitants would be Shrimp, possibly a few smaller fish(Ember Tetras/Dwarf Cory)

Substrate will likely being Fluval Startum, or possible organic dirt with a sand or gravel cap. Heater will be added depending on what fish are added.

Idea 1:
Fluval Flora

Always liked Fluval tanks, and its a nice compact package with everything I want included. Comes with C02 and is a rimless tank, and looks great at the LFS, at least the older model they have on the counter. However I've heard that the Filter is underpowered, the C02 system is a pain versus DIY and other alternatives, and the light will only grow low/mediumish plants. For the high price point($120 at the LFS, I prefer to support my local buisnesses when possible) I could easily put together a build from scratch that should be better.

Idea 2:
Mr Aqua 7.5 Gallon Rimless
ZooMed 501
Fugeray-r

From what I've lurked, these seem like a good combination, with easy to hide filtration, and the correct amount of light, and what seems to be a popular tank in and around the planted tank and fish communities. Not sure if that will be enough light to support heavy plant growth or not. I can swap some of these items out with the first idea, but at that point its not even worth buying the tank to shelf half the equipment.

I know this might be a bit of a drawn out post, but I'm really trying to nail down a possible design and hoping I'm actually understanding plant requirements correctly. I can keep fish without issue, had several tanks over the years, currently have a 55 community and my old 10 gallon as a shrimp tank, but both are very lightly planted, and easy, simple growth plants. Any help you guys and girls can provide would be very appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I like idea two but I would go with Aquasoil or something similar instead of the Fluval substate for better plant growth IMO
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanotaenia View Post
I like idea two but I would go with Aquasoil or something similar instead of the Fluval substate for better plant growth IMO
Fluval isn't my prime choice, but I do like the look of it, and its easy to obtain locally. As for the Aqua Soil, I've looked at it, but given its cost and dealing with shipping, I've held off. Is the soil really that much of an improvement over a Walsted Method type of substrate?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would also go with idea 2. The tank dimensions are good and appealing to the eye. I like you stock idea but if you wanted a heavily planted tank with a carpet I would chose otto cats instead of cories as there more delicate with plants to say the least. You probably won't to use aquasoil instead if fluval as mentioned by melanitaenia.
Good luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FISHY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsedude View Post
I would also go with idea 2. The tank dimensions are good and appealing to the eye. I like you stock idea but if you wanted a heavily planted tank with a carpet I would chose otto cats instead of cories as there more delicate with plants to say the least. You probably won't to use aquasoil instead if fluval as mentioned by melanitaenia.
Good luck...
Thats part of my goal, is eye appeal, hence some of the fancier equipment. A simple HOB and a DIY light could easily support the setup, but wouldn't look as nice.

I've kept Dwarf cories before, and never had much of issue with them and plants, but granted I've never had a successful carpet, but I will keep that in mind. They were more of an after thought, as I do want to do primarily shrimp.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like idea 2 as well and if you go that route you might want to check out the rimless cubes from TruAqua. They cost the same as Mr Aqua and are low iron. I have one and like it as do others on the forum who have them.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
^^ This.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by prighello View Post
I like idea 2 as well and if you go that route you might want to check out the rimless cubes from TruAqua. They cost the same as Mr Aqua and are low iron. I have one and like it as do others on the forum who have them.
I started to take a look at them, and I do like them, but what are the advantages to low iron glass versus normal glass?

Also, do they make a rimless bowfront? The Mr Aqua was a bowfront, which was more my taste, but the cubes were a close second, so I'm not tied to either specifically.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2zoo View Post
I started to take a look at them, and I do like them, but what are the advantages to low iron glass versus normal glass?

Also, do they make a rimless bowfront? The Mr Aqua was a bowfront, which was more my taste, but the cubes were a close second, so I'm not tied to either specifically.
Low iron glass is higher clarity and virtually clear while regular glass has a green tint to it. I think TruAqua does rimless bowfronts but not in low iron those come in cubes and rectangles.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is this a plant only tank or will you have live stock? If it's going to be very lightly stocked you can go with small hob filter.

7g Cube -
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:

Truaqua does make bow front aquariums with black silicone. they are nice and worth the money, but not nearly as nice as their hq cubes

the black silicone is nice if you are using dark substrate and have a black background, though
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
Is this a plant only tank or will you have live stock? If it's going to be very lightly stocked you can go with small hob filter.
I plan to stock with shrimp, and possible fish, but thats not for certain yet. As for the filter, its mostly for the flexibility of being able to hide it easier then a HOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
Truaqua does make bow front aquariums with black silicone. they are nice and worth the money, but not nearly as nice as their hq cubes

the black silicone is nice if you are using dark substrate and have a black background, though
I did see those. Although I like the clear silicone look more, these are seeming like a great option as well. Making my decisions more difficult
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I got the mr aqua 7.4 and its a great tank! Looking back thought I would get the 12 gallon instead.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm going to toss my hat in the ring here for you too look into the truaqua tanks. Mine are so beautiful, it like water is just suspended on my desk the tanks are so clear. I have the 5.5g rectangle and the 4gal cube. The cubes are priced quite well if you can deal with having a cube tank.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I plan to stock with shrimp, and possible fish, but thats not for certain yet. As for the filter, its mostly for the flexibility of being able to hide it easier then a HOB
For a little more money than the zoo med you might want to consider an Eheim 2211 canister.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode