Modified EBI nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Modified EBI nano

I traded for a well used Fluval EBI. The only thing usable was the tank, light, and lid. Everything else was a lost cause. As my current 55Gal tank is a wild and untamed jungle with plants, filters, and misc hardware everywhere. I wanted this EBI to be more of a show tank. This meant no HOB filters, no canister filter with pipes in and out, nothing showing but the tank, light, water, fish and decor.

Off to my scrap bin I went. Several pieces of acrylic and a few hours later I had turned the EBI into a 6 gal tank with a built-in 2 gal sump. Basically I turned it into an oversize Fluval Spec.

Here are a few pics of the completed tank and a couple of shots of the mods I did.

Two things that aren't showing in the pic of the mods are the ceramic media which is placed in the chamber under the white poly fill and the heater which is placed in the center chamber.

A piece of plastic craft canvas placed at the intake to prevent any shrimp from visiting the filter.

Last edited by RogueGeek; 01-23-2014 at 08:09 PM. Reason: updated pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
That is pretty darn cool, I like it! A great idea! And I like your scape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CLUB MEMBER!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Really nice and pretty impressive DIY! I can only imagine how much more BB you'll have now vs the filter that comes with the kit. I bet they would get a lot more buyers if Fluval did this to the tanks instead. You should patent it and call up Fluval for the rights :-P.

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks for the compliments!

I'm hoping the filter works as planned. I should know after a few weeks.
If it doesn't work, it is really going to be a pain to remove

As to the patent....I only wish I could afford it. I quickly researched the cost and for a simple design the cost can quickly exceed $5000 and for some things $15000 or more isn't uncommon.

Last edited by RogueGeek; 01-23-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added more info
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 01:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
this is super cool DIY handy work!

Though the reefer side of me says this would make an awesome pico reef with how you have the back chambers set up. Can anyone say built in refugium lol!

The Salty side of things

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do a poor mans patent lol... make a blue print and fully document the design, then mail it to urself in a sealed document package so its tamper proof...

10g Snail Tank, 10g Marmokreb Tank, 10g Goldfish Tank (at the moment), 20g metaframe tank (will be Marmokreb tank when its fixed)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looks good. It's called an All In One or AIO design.

~B

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode