Nano Nano - 2.5G Journal (Update Pic 10/28/07) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano Nano - 2.5G Journal (Update Pic 10/28/07)

Ok, so I didn't get the best photo's using my camera phone lol but it's enough to give everyone a good idea of my setup so far.

Any comments, tips, ideas, suggestions, opinions are all welcome

Pic 1) The standard 2.5 gallon nano tank 12" wide x 8 1/4" tall x 6" deep.

Pic 2) I had some sheets of 12" x 12" natural cork, it's about a 1/4" thick. So I measured where I wanted it cut and then used the knife shown to score the material. If you bend it just a little it will break down the score line just like glass but with a textured edge.

Pic 3) I left the black frame on so I could friction fit the cork to the back. One side of the cork is smooth, the other side is textured so it fits up tight to the glass in back. I was going to do the sides but decided against it in such a small tank it would be hard to create depth if I boxed it in.

Last edited by Nano Nano; 10-28-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 04:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Sounds interesting. What are you planning to do with that cork?

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 04:57 AM

Dutch nano... interesting.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Pic 4) I decided to use some Profile Aquasoil, I know it's not the latest craze but I already has some of it from a previous project I helped a friend on sooo in it goes lol. And it has a natural color, a nice plus in my book.

Pic 5) Although this is primarily a pimped out Betta bowl, and I will plant it nice and dense I decided to add a Red Sea nano filter anyway. In addition it helps hold the cork in place, even though its not necessary.

Pic 6) This front on shot kind of shows how the textured background will look as the tank is taking shape. I am still waiting to see if I can find some nice driftwood pieces to kind of finish the look before I start planting.

Pic 7) I decided to go with the 27 watt Home Depot light, partly because it's a little more adjustable than some of the others and compliments the look and if all else fails I can use it as a desk lamp

Well that's all I have for now, once I find some suitable driftwood I'll start planting. I kind of want to make an asian biotope for my Betta so I may not use cuttings from my other tank, I'll have to see what I can find and at what prices before I make up my mind.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

mpodolan
Quote:
Sounds interesting. What are you planning to do with that cork?
Sorry I decided to post the first couple of pics to be sure they would display correctly before I finished posting the rest of the pics. Anyway you can see how I'm using it in the background. I think it creates a nice textured backdrop that looks natural. Once the water is in place and some plants put in front it will hopefully blend instead of looking like a black square lol.

j_m_lizard
Quote:
Dutch nano... interesting.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 05:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano Nano View Post
mpodolan

Anyway you can see how I'm using it in the background. I think it creates a nice textured backdrop that looks natural. Once the water is in place and some plants put in front it will hopefully blend instead of looking like a black square lol
That makes sense. I'm using Schultz aquasoil(which is the same as Profile as far as I know) in my 50 gallon, and it seems to work just fine. I'm looking forward to the progress of your tank!

Mike

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

mpodolan
Quote:
I'm using Schultz aquasoil(which is the same as Profile as far as I know)
That sounds like the same stuff, it's been a while since I've seen the bag it came in though so I just couldn't remember the brand. I just had it sitting in a bucket lol.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Well today I went to my lfs and bought some scrub plants to stuff my nano... and messed around with some layout ideas for later.

So just waiting on my tank to cycle through and water to stabilize.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not waiting for the cycle to complete b4 planting are you? The plants will help w/ the cycle. The plants w/ use some of the Ammonia and plants inherently have some bacteria on them from their previous tanks. Both will help cycle the tank.

If you've already planted them, well great job!!!!
________
LovelyCharlize

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:14 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Tdon1md,
Quote:
Not waiting for the cycle to complete b4 planting are you? The plants will help w/ the cycle. The plants w/ use some of the Ammonia and plants inherently have some bacteria on them from their previous tanks. Both will help cycle the tank.

If you've already planted them, well great job!!!!
Basically this is what has happened so far:
Friday: I got the tank and rinsed it out, added the cork backing, added the substrate, added the filter, added water & treated it for chlorine etc., bought the light & timer gizmo.

Saturday I didn't do anything with the tank on Saturday, just making sure I didn't have any leaks and that the filter worked.

Sunday Added scrub plants from my lfs. I messed around with some possible layout ideas using the scrub plants to help me visualize what it may look like with other plants in place.

Came to the realization with a nano even midsize plants are overwhelming due to the small size considering its only about 7 1/2 inches tall, once you add substrate or driftwood and it doesn't take much plant to reach the surface.

I'm going to be pretty busy the next couple of days, but I'll be on the lookout for some nice driftwood or some type of structure to add dimesion and making sure the light timer is set correctly and working ok.

Anybody have some driftwood alternatives or suggestions? The plastic stuff they sell at my lfs is to big or junky looking.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

malaysian driftwood or bogwood...
malaysian driftwood already sinks not sure about bogwood.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Are you going to use Co2? Does that filter provide sufficient flow to keep the water well circulated? I like the look of it and the price seems right.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

ringram,
Quote:
Are you going to use Co2? Does that filter provide sufficient flow to keep the water well circulated? I like the look of it and the price seems right.
I was planning on using Flourish Excel.

Yes the filter has plenty of flow for the tank size imo, if I turn it up it will dig a hole in my substrate around the spill zone.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Pic 8) Going on day 5, I decided to go ahead and add my Betta, an Otto and a few shrimps. As you can see it's kind of crowded in there with the plants I stuffed it with but there is still room to swim. I also picked up an oral syringe from my local Rite-Aid, it was free in the pharmacy. It's has lines every .1 ml up to 1 ml, to make dosing of Flourish Excel a little easier.

I also found some interesting rocks... I'm still looking for the right piece of driftwood before I turn to rocks but they are on standby for now lol.

For those who were asking previously you can now kind of get an idea what the cork's texture looks like as a backdrop. I think it gives kind of a natural feel to it even though it's not scaped yet.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Well I had a little time to work with the driftwood today... It's not quite positioned where I want it. I think I need to move the raised up section a little more off center? The frill kind of overwhelms the back of the tank still because I haven't gotten any other plants yet. It seems all of the local shops have algae covered do do plants or they seem infested etc... so still looking for the right plants.

The driftwood wanted to float so I strapped it to some large rocks... I was surprised how big the rocks had to be to hold it down... note to self silicone to slate makes more sense now lol.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode