corner 5g planted nano (56k warning!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
corner 5g planted nano (56k warning!)

okay, so, this is my 2nd planted tank, but the first one where i've been able to chronicle things from the beginning.

i bought an eclipse 5g corner tank a couple of weeks ago. it came with a 5w light, so i traded it out for a 15w spiral compact fluorescent bulb. filter came built in, and i added a 25w heater. i'm using flourite, cause i liked the way it worked for my friend in the tank i set up for her.

okay, so, here goes.

new tank!

washing my flourite!

(10g puffer/cory tank that i stole a few plants from for this one. have since done a massive rescaping and cleaning.)

ludwigia and java fern ready for planting.

filling the tank!

i was pleased that the water didn't cloud up too much.

managed to disturb my ludwigia, of course.

replanted.

you can tell how dull that light was...and in the next picture, i've changed the light.

and then, i received an anubias package in the mail from a member here on the swap-n-shop. barteri, hastifolia, coffefolia, and nana. also added pond snails and ramshorn snails, since this is going to be mainly a project tank and a snail breeding tank for puffer food.

i'm still new when it comes to scaping, so i've got a lot of work to do.

a ramshorn enjoying an algae wafer.

and on sunday, i added 10 ghost shrimp and 3 cherry barbs. the barbs are keeping me constantly entertained. i have one male and two females and he spends his entire day chasing skirts.

suggestions and comments are welcomed! i'd like to have a tall background plant, but i'm not sure what to use that wouldn't overwhelm my small tank. help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Looking good. I can't believe how clear your tank was on the first day. I would have washed the substrate outside !!!!!

Plants are looking good, a small leaved stem plant will look nice in the background (rotala rotundifolia comes to mind).

That light really made a nice difference. I like the color of the output.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
Looking good. I can't believe how clear your tank was on the first day. I would have washed the substrate outside !!!!!

Plants are looking good, a small leaved stem plant will look nice in the background (rotala rotundifolia comes to mind).

That light really made a nice difference. I like the color of the output.
hey, thanks! i really liked the lighting change too, i am really pleased with the new bulb.

i will look into the rotundifolia! thank you for the tip!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Looks like you're off to a good start. The only comment I have is that you shouldn't bury the java fern in the substrate. The rhizome will likely rot if buried. It's helpful to attach it to driftwood or some type of structure. Other than that, it's looking good!

Mike

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodolan View Post
Looks like you're off to a good start. The only comment I have is that you shouldn't bury the java fern in the substrate. The rhizome will likely rot if buried. It's helpful to attach it to driftwood or some type of structure. Other than that, it's looking good!
Good thing I read the whole thread, I almost typed the same thing.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evercl92 View Post
Good thing I read the whole thread, I almost typed the same thing.
yeah, i've just got them pushed a little ways into the substrate to keep them from bobbing around all over the place.

i contacted manzanita burlworks a few weeks ago to see if i could get the owner to help me find a few pieces of good driftwood so i can scape my 10g, this tank and my little 2.5 hex tank, but i haven't received a reply.

does anyone know of any other good driftwood sources? i keep trying to find pieces on the sNs, but they're mostly huge.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
your tank looks really nice, good job swapping out the light!

the only suggestions i would make are try to get a hardscape going on with some larger rocks, a nice piece of driftwood strategically placed would look awesome too.

i think manzanita might be too skinny for that tank, but i have never worked with it before, a nice piece of iron or worm wood would be great.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
great tank man! I have that exact same tank and I must say yours is much more impressive - I just have some java fern, java moss, and anubias in mine.

one question though - what light do you use? you mentioned it's a 15w CF, does it just screw into the socket? I bought this light online:
https://store.altenergystore.com/Lig...mp-Bulb/p1005/
and I plugged it in today but it just blew up (I got the 6400k version). So I'm back using my 10W 50/50 left over from when my tank was a SW setup. is this ok for my plants or should I get something better?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlawlor View Post
great tank man! I have that exact same tank and I must say yours is much more impressive - I just have some java fern, java moss, and anubias in mine.

one question though - what light do you use? you mentioned it's a 15w CF, does it just screw into the socket? I bought this light online:
https://store.altenergystore.com/Lig...mp-Bulb/p1005/
and I plugged it in today but it just blew up (I got the 6400k version). So I'm back using my 10W 50/50 left over from when my tank was a SW setup. is this ok for my plants or should I get something better?
haha, thanks! and it's *woman, not man.

a 10w might be too weak to grow much more than the java fern, java moss and anubias.

i just picked up a 15w cf from walmart, nothing fancy. like something you'd use in a reading lamp. it says it's the equivalent of a 60w bulb. i only leave it on for 8 hours a day.

hope this helps!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyrustyrobot View Post
haha, thanks! and it's *woman, not man.
heh, sorry about that. either way, nice tank.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

update--new plants

i went on vacation for the weekend and my (well-meaning) dad overfed my fish. so if things seem a little cloudy (even after the water change!) that's why!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Algae Grower

looking good! what all do you have in there right now?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I was looking at the same tank to put at my desk maybe.

Looking good though, and I agree that light swap made a world of difference.

If you dont have any luck with the manzanita, give me a pm and maybe I can hook you up. The stuff grows everywhere here and I'm on the hunt for some good pieces myself.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode