Hello & 2.5 Gal Lighting ??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello & 2.5 Gal Lighting ???

Hello everyone, been lurking for a little while and finally decided to post. I've had several aquariums over the years in a range of sizes up to 125 gal.

But I'm going through a phase where I really appreciate a nice nano setup.

However I'm a little confused at some of the lighting advice I've seen. In some posts I've seen discussions advising anywhere from 1-4 watts per gallon for a planted tank. Then in others when folks are asking about a good nano tank lighting setup for a 2.5 gal, folks suggest the home depot 27 watt cp rig which seems like it would be serious overkill? I understand there are a lot of factors to consider in lighting i.e. water depth, types of plants, tannins or heavy peat stained waters, lighting height above the tank etc.

Could someone clarify how much light I really need for my 2.5 gal nano? Assuming a range of plants like HC, Glosso, Java Fern.

Thanks for the info, I'll post pic's as my setup progresses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 07:54 PM

The WPG rule goes out the window with small tanks and large tanks. There is a minimum threshold of light required by plants. 3 WPG is high light for a 30 gallon but a 3 watt light on a 1 gallon will grow nothing.
Also, reflectors are a factor. A 23 watt CF screw-in with a poor reflector might put out less usable light than an 18 watt with a good reflector.
A Coralife Mini Freshwater (18 watts) works great, you will have to does Excel if your not running any CO2, and make your own mounting legs for it.
Another option is a Current Satellite 12" 18w (great quality), but you will want to swap the bulb out for a dual daylight. Fits perfectly though.

HC/Glosso will need at least 18 watts on a 2.5 gallon.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would aim for a minimum of 18w, preferably more. The 27W fixture from Home Depot is not overkill, in fact there are tons of people who use them on tanks ranging from 1G to 5G. They're effective and cheap, definitely a good investment for a lighting setup.

--Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
If you are feeling crafty, an AH supply 13 watt kit directly over the tank will grow anything.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Reeferton,
Quote:
The WPG rule goes out the window with small tanks and large tanks. There is a minimum threshold of light required by plants. 3 WPG is high light for a 30 gallon but a 3 watt light on a 1 gallon will grow nothing.
I see, that kind of makes sense when worded that way.

Yoshi,
Quote:
The 27W fixture from Home Depot is not overkill, in fact there are tons of people who use them on tanks ranging from 1G to 5G. They're effective and cheap, definitely a good investment for a lighting setup.
That's what I've read, I just didn't understand why so much light for such a small tank... I can't tell you how much advice over the years I've received from folks just because something was cheap verses practical.

I had no doubt it's a great light for the size tank we are talking about, I sort of just wanted to be sure it wasn't the cheap alternative to a more appropriate sized light which may have cost more due to it's compact size or something.

Minsc,
Quote:
If you are feeling crafty, an AH supply 13 watt kit directly over the tank will grow anything.
I've made a lot of DIY stuff over the years for my larger tanks, but I think I'll stick to the manufactured store bought stuff for now... I say for now because l just like to tinker lol.

I can't seem to build one that is perfect and leave well enough alone. There is just something about them that says "Tweak Me". So I do lol.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am using the Coralife Mini Freshwater Aqualight for my 2.5G. I cut a acrylic for the top, and use small suction cup for Christmas lights as the stands for the light fixture. I use Aquasoil Amazonia II and the HC pearls everyday for the past week. I use DIY CO2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode