New planted 5G...suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New planted 5G...suggestions?

For a while I had gravel substrate and a few live plants in this tank. I decided I wanted to upgrade to a planted tank so took the plunge yesterday and bought plant substrate and a few new plants. I am looking for suggestions for organizing and landscaping.

Lighting: Marineland 10w 5500k CFL

Substrate: Fluval Plant Stratum

Plants: Ludwigia repens, Cryptocoryne undulata, Bacopa caroliniana, Hygrophila difformis
The first two grew very well in the original gravel, the other two plants are new.
I trimmed the Ludwigia and replanted the trimmings.

Fish: one betta fish and one platy fry (will be transferred to friend's 55G once he can fend himself from the big guys in that tank)

I would like to add some rock/driftwood in the front. Where do you find is the best place to buy decorative rocks? I feel like the ones at big pet stores are just not attractive and look fake. And at the great LFS near me, the rocks and driftwood seem to be HUGE.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good start so far! Once you add some more hardscape, it'll look complete.

You can find rocks at a local rock/landscaping yard (cheaper this way too). Or you could always take the rock outside and hit it with a sledgehammer. I had to look around in my LFS for a good 15 minutes to find a suitable nano sized branch.

I would've separated the long stem plants more but they'll grow fuller bunched together and you can always trim and replant.

Does your light hit the sides of the tank? It looks like those places are receiving a lot less than the center.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for your comments and tips on the rocks.

This morning I separated the long stem plants but now the tank is all cloudy (love the substrate but when agitated it takes a while to settle). Will post pics when it's all settled.

And yes you are right-due to filter design the light is blocked partially on the left side of the tank. The right side is not covered.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode