College TruAqua 3.5G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
College TruAqua 3.5G

Hello! This will be my first actual thread detailing a tank of mine.

Edit 1/30/14: http://imgur.com/a/ZPzXv Album link that I will continually add photos to.

Originally this was going to be a simple MGOCPM base/black diamond sand cap 2.5G tank bought from PetSmart. It was lighted by a cheap goose-neck lamp with a 13w 6500k Silvania fluorescent and filtered with a Deep Blue Professional Nano filter.
Plants were bought from http://plantedaquariumscentral.com/ and include:
  • Creeping Charlie (Micromeria Brownei)
  • Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'
  • Cryptocoryne parva
  • Staurogyne repens
  • Anubias barteri var. nana
Here's a pic of that before filling:

After running for two weeks (tiny bit of old media added from 5G), I put in 3 male endlers and 2 boraras merah that I found off to the side in the LFS by themselves (couldn't resist!). I also added a couple RCS from my 20L that I keep at home. Knowing that it was overstocked, I went and bought a ZooMed 501 on sale at Petco for some actual bio filtration. I replaced the carbon with Purigen and added whatever was in the DBP filter and some more old media this time from the 20L.

Anyway soon after that I had drive this tiny tank ~3 hours back to college. Did this mostly by draining out a little more than half the water and wrapping the crap out of it with saran wrap, plastic bags, and bubble wrap (and then into the cooler). One boraras merah died in the process.

A couple days later after getting it up and running I found out the tank was leaking slowly in the bottom seam. I then decided the tank wasn't worth the 14 dollars and ordered the 3.5G bow front tank from TruAqua for around $22 (12" length to fit the Finnex Fugeray I just ordered a day before, gooseneck was starting to annoy me). Took a bus to a nearby LFS and bought Fluval Stratum as I needed a plant substrate for the new tank and sand/dirt isn't exactly easy to transfer.

Tank arriving ridiculously packaged (the cardboard box was almost as big as my bed and filled to the brim with packing peanuts):

Tank finally setup (I'm liking the rimless, never had one before):

Final specs:
  • Aquarium - TruAqua 3.5G Eurostyle Bowfront
  • Substrate - Fluval Plant Stratum
  • Filtration - ZooMed 501
  • Lighting - Finnex Fugeray 12"
  • Flourish root tabs and excel for now (paintball reg. big possibility)
  • Same plants as above
  • 2x Endler's livebearer (one jumped out either yesterday or in the morning today
  • 1x Boraras merah
  • 6x Red cherry shrimp

Thanks for looking everyone!
Open to any suggestions/comments.

Last edited by Apyrase; 01-30-2014 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Album link added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I really like the tank! I can't wait to see it once it has grow in a bit more. Too bad about the Boraras merah and the Endler, though. I have no idea what I'm going to do to transport one of my tanks to college next year.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is a beautiful start. Your 3.5g looks bigger than it is. Keep us updated. (: Are you worried at all that your endler will eat baby shrimps?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice thank! Are the plants doing fine without the Co2 or is it still too new?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by holoublahee View Post
I really like the tank! I can't wait to see it once it has grow in a bit more. Too bad about the Boraras merah and the Endler, though. I have no idea what I'm going to do to transport one of my tanks to college next year.
Thanks! Yeah I was so paranoid about moving it and the fish dying. I think if I drained all the water and bagged the fish/shrimp it would've been less stressful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineL View Post
This is a beautiful start. Your 3.5g looks bigger than it is. Keep us updated. (: Are you worried at all that your endler will eat baby shrimps?
Thank you! RCS will always find a way to survive as long as the adults can survive, in my experience. Plus the substrate granules are large enough for babies to crawl around in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Nice thank! Are the plants doing fine without the Co2 or is it still too new?
I think the excel has been providing enough carbon for the plants so far. I'm hoping that the CO2 stuff I just bought will help the growth explode.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apyrase View Post
I think the excel has been providing enough carbon for the plants so far. I'm hoping that the CO2 stuff I just bought will help the growth explode.
I ordered some Excel and it should be here tomorrow, not sure when I'll start dosing (Knowing me... I'll dose tomorrow. lol)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Algae Grower

Oh good. That gives me some hopes for for my new shrimps, then.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 1 and a half update:

The Creeping Charlie (Micromeria Brownei) was pretty unsatisfying to look at as it put out so many roots and leaves fell off/browned all the time, while shooting growth up. Instead I decided to get a packet of Cyperus Helferi from PetSmart and replace it. Most went the 2.5G that I've converted to grow plants emersed. I love Vals. but they would simply get way too big for this tank and this came the closest to emulate it (these will also get huge in time though... but have far slower growth so at least I can keep up with it).

I asked for some Amazon Frogbit on the forum and received WAY too many (had to waste a lot it ) I think I may have accidentally made the light hitting the S. Repens low light. We'll see how it grows out.

Been through a lot of issues with my CO2 setup and finally decided to bite the bullet and order an Aquatek Mini reg. instead of working on the ASA valve I got. I think I will start a fertilizing regime too because just a tiny bit from one of the sellers on here will last me 8+ years......
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I cant wait for the staurogyne repens to fill in. Nice looking tank, it looks much bigger than a 3.5G.

Do your endlers ever pay any attention to the cherry shrimp?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

lol, I love commas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode