red nano plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
red nano plants?

Any suggestions of some red/pink plants suitable for a nano without needing excessive trimming?

Thanks,
Jared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Red wendtii would be perfect, because they tend not to grow up so much as out.

Also, Rotala rotundifolia looks super nice in my 5g, and under high light the variety I have turns to a beautiful pinkish color... but it requires constant trimming. What I do is just let the tops grow to the surface, then I clip the top few inches off, pull out the roots, and plant the tops where the bottoms used to be. It's an ongoing cycle, though, that I'm sure I'll get tired of soon.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
Red wendtii would be perfect, because they tend not to grow up so much as out.

Also, Rotala rotundifolia looks super nice in my 5g, and under high light the variety I have turns to a beautiful pinkish color... but it requires constant trimming. What I do is just let the tops grow to the surface, then I clip the top few inches off, pull out the roots, and plant the tops where the bottoms used to be. It's an ongoing cycle, though, that I'm sure I'll get tired of soon.
Actually, my C. parva seems to have a nice bit of red in the leaves, and the dwarf lili is redish, but I'm looking for something a bit more bold.

As for the Rotala... well, I think I'll avoid it since I already have to trim it like crazy in my 39 gallon.

Someone on APC suggested Telanthera roseafolia (red temple)... I have a feeling I'd be fighting with that just as much though... I'll just keep looking/searching/asking... maybe something will turn up.

Thanks,
Jared

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
C. Parva only has nice red leaves in very high light and CO2.

C. Wendtii would be way too big in a nano. Even for a 10 gallon.

Rotala colorota works well and IME, it doesn't grow as fast as my other plants. Perhaps if you restrict light on it it'll grow slower as it's in a corner that gets less light than my other plants.

If you want red plants and don't want to fight it, I don't think there are red plants that will be suitable in a nano. Perhaps Ludwigia arcuata?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Sandiegoru...

My 39 gallon doesn't have that high of light (110 watts CF on a 20" tall tank), and the CO2 has been off for about a month due to a busted solenoid, but my C. parva has some decent red in its leaves. Go figure.

Hmmm, I hadn't seen the L arcuata... it's a possibility.

I am also wondering about Lobelia cardinalis "var. small" If I could find some, the deep purple underside of the leaves could be the "pop" I'm looking for. Of course, the operative part of that statement is: "if I could find some..."

-Jared
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Ludwigia small form would def. work.
In such a small tank, i've got two words- Rotala wallichi.
have fun finding some though.

Dwarf lilly would not work.Gets huge.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
hmm strange. I've actually never seen red C. parva in that kind of lighting. Or wait, did they even get red? Maybe you have C. lucens?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Dwarf lili baby off the mother bulb, trim any surface shooters and any leaves that get too big, and I think (hope) it'll work fine. If not, I'll move it back to the 37 (oops, I've been saying 39).

As for the Crypt, well, I guess it could be any of the dwarf varieties, I just bought it as parva... here's a pic of the Crypt in question:

I'd call that red... maybe you wouldn't. Or, like you said, maybe it's not parva at all. Survey says...?

Oh, and I picked up a nice little Lobelia cardinalis today at Exotic Aquariums here in Sacramento. Who knows if it'll stay manageable in this tank... only time will tell (I doubt this is the special small variety, but it's still nice). Yeah, I know it's not red, but it does have that cool purple iridescence going on. Here's a top view:

Thanks for looking and all the ideas,
Jared
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
I have ludwigia repens in my nanos and it has a real nice red color to it. Does anyone know how big red tiger lotus gets?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
i've seen one as high as 20 inches and have 6 inches diameter leaves

some can keep it low and small though. i don't know how.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuzo View Post
i've seen one as high as 20 inches and have 6 inches diameter leaves

some can keep it low and small though. i don't know how.
Not quite a nano plant huh..that's what I was afraid of. Oh well...hmm, that 20L is just sitting there...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_m_lizard View Post
Telanthera roseafolia (red temple)... I have a feeling I'd be fighting with that just as much though...
If you're talking about Alternanthera reineckii, that's what I was going to suggest. It doesn't grow that fast, for me I'd say it gains maybe an inch every week or two in tanks where others grow like monster weeds. Once it gets too tall or the lower leaves look ratty, you can either replant the tops or chop it down and let the base branch into a more filled out plant.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
if you look at the 30gal full of nano stuff in my signature,
you'll notice many red highlight small slow growing plants.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
I second the suggestion for Alternanthera reineckii. I have it in my 12g and I only trim it every 2-3 weeks.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
if you look at the 30gal full of nano stuff in my signature,
you'll notice many red highlight small slow growing plants.
Rocks?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode