Viettxboii's 2.5g nano: REDO coming to a forum near you! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Viettxboii's 2.5g nano: REDO coming to a forum near you!

I started adding plants to this tank around mid august and initially set up the tank at the start of august. This is my 1st planted tank.
So heres the specs
Lighting- 1x15watt 6500 spiral cf.
Filter- Elite Mini Filter set at minimum flow...
Fauna- 1 Male CT Betta. 2 Female guppy fry that have lived in there for about a month now.
Flora- Java moss on driftwood and unknown plant i recieved from friend...
Algae- Spot Glass algae, and har algae.
Heres the tank when right after i put on the moss without properly tying it..

Heres after a few weeks of growth..

Notice hte spogne filter being used...

didnt work quite that well.

a month later and recieveing sme platns from my friend.. the rest were still in the ziplock baggie/maintank.

Here it is about a month ago

Most recent pic.. about a week and a half ago...
I'm injecting no co2.. just bi-daily feedings and 50% wc's every few days...
I'm planning to do some woodwork and make a box for the tank to sit on that will integrate a lighting mount on it... and im making it a decent size so that later if i get a slightly largertank i can fit it...
I want to split the lighting into 2 bulbs 15watts each so total 30 watts but due to unefficiency its around 20-25 rannge, and more even distribution..
I also need an id on the plant... and also i want to redo the scape in time after i get more money...
moss needs a trimming though...
and hairalge and spot glass algae is abundant where ever the the light is most intense..

Last edited by Kayen; 12-28-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The woodwork i did in a quickly and crudely drawn paint image..

I plan to raise the light up a big and double it ..., and perhaps start using DIY co2.. or some excel
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 03:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
I can't quite tell what that new plant is (hygrophelia hydrosperma maybe) but I doubt you need to have tons of light that close to the glass and I doubt you need the co2, a tiny bit of excel every once in awhile might help with the algae though.
What is the temp in there with the light right over it?

-Cassie S.
No fish or invert tanks right now... just 1 H. azureiventris...
But I'm working on that!

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeha i have ot figure out how ot raise the light up somehow..
I don't know hte exact temp atm as my thermometer for that tanks busted giving me a bad reading =/
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hm sorry for hte bump that plant is indeed hygrophilia polysperma... i plant of which grows a good size for my tank i guess i gotta do alot of trimmings then .. and i need a rescape.. im keeping hte driftwood though!
i want ot add some rocks and elevate the wood a bit.
Any plant suggestions?
i want some grass type plants in there and some Anubias bateri var. nana
any any lighting suggestions?
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viettxboii View Post
hm sorry for hte bump that plant is indeed hygrophilia polysperma... i plant of which grows a good size for my tank i guess i gotta do alot of trimmings then .. and i need a rescape.. im keeping hte driftwood though!
i want ot add some rocks and elevate the wood a bit.
Any plant suggestions?
i want some grass type plants in there and some Anubias bateri var. nana
any any lighting suggestions?
Populating your tank with fast growing stem plants such as rotala indica, moneywort, Ludwiga Repens, and even ambulia will help you get a grip on algae as the tank matures. As far as slow growing hardy plants go, you really cannot go wrong with Anubias and Java fern. You may want to coordinate this with a good fertilization dosing scheme. Personally, I found Seachem dosing tapered down to 2.5 gallon worked best for me.

I would not recommend injecting c02. When I put in a C02 drop checker and experimented with DIY c02 injection for a 2.5 gallon nano, I noticed that the drop checker solution turned a bright yellow, indicating c02 levels above the safe 30 PPM. I dare would not risk exposing fish to this as I witnessed the ordeal the fish in my 40 gallon went though when the drop checker solution turned yellow. Luckily, I was able to bring all but one back from the brink of death by quickly plugging in the bubble wand aeration and increasing surface agitation to drive off the excess c02. I would not inject c02 in anything less than 5 gallons. Stick with Fluourish Excel to give the plants carbon.

As far a lighting goes, I found that a split photo period of 8 hours with 2 15 watt compact fluorescent bulbs worked best.

And don't be surprised if you get all kinds of algae as the tank matures. Sometimes achieving balance on such a small level takes time. I had a 2.5 gallon nano and a 10 gallon that went through bouts of all kinds of stubborn algae imaginable over a span of 6 months. At one point, I was ready to tear the tanks down and start all over. I just persisted in fertilizing the tanks the way I was and doing 30-50% weekly water changes. When I approached the 6th month mark the algae seemed to slowly disappear. I believe once healthy plant growth is established and the tank becomes balanced, you will not see too much algae growing. Algae usually makes its appearance when the tank is out of balance and plant growth is weak.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

At my lfs (last i checked 2 weeks ago) carried rotala rotundfolia and indica, really pricey though ($11 CAD) carried quite a number of stem plants...
Suggest i do anything with the hygro?
Any aquascaping suggestions?
At this point the hygro hasnt really grown just it has just taken in roots onto the driftwood.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

bump?
any suggestions to improve the tank...
and id liek to revise he stocking for some small >1 inch fish->more suggestions?
and some ideal plants for this tank where id like to create a moutnain valley..
basically 2 forested moutnains on both sides and a plain in the middle.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 02:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viettxboii View Post
bump?
any suggestions to improve the tank...
and id liek to revise he stocking for some small >1 inch fish->more suggestions?
and some ideal plants for this tank where id like to create a moutnain valley..
basically 2 forested moutnains on both sides and a plain in the middle.
franksaquarium.com has a nano-fish list. There's also a nano-fish sticky at the top of the nano page. Check it out for fauna ideas. In a 2.5, if you want to make mountains, etc., you need smallish plants or be willing to trim a lot. Lots of people use HC, dwarf hairgrass, microsword, etc. Just look around at other tanks on here for good ideas as to what would work. There are lots of well-done nano tanks with that look. Also, you might want to consider a different substrate if that's what you're looking for. In addition to helping smaller plants grow better, a smaller substrate will help visually (ie. it will make the tank look bigger). HTH

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:03 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you want all that Java Moss
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ill probably get some endlers from a person in the city a trio of males.
and hm i want to buy this super fine "river rock" substrate by ecosystems(hagen) which is available at my lfs and seems alright.
As for the plains in the middle i could always do a moss carpet.
But for the plants on the side im not sure yet...
For the forested mountains basically im gonna do somehting liek what Ryzilla did on their tank to acheive the mountain/hill effect.
Im gonna miss up the rock itself and on the top of the mountain a small stem plant. Something like HM or rotala indica.
On the otherside ill just plant my mass of hygro.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay after some moving around and ripping out handfuls of algae and brown moss, i moved the hygro bundle over and added a small albeit LOUD HOB filter.
3 Weeks Ago:

The substrate isn't growing the hygro very well at all...
i'm considering to convert this tank to a Natural Planted Tank. Due to my lack of time.
Also hair algae is taking a stronghold in this tank, because moss=slow growers, and the planted hygro bundles i have around aren't growing because the substrate isn't adequate.
I'm dosing API LeafZone- due to its Potassium Sulfate derivatives.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:55 PM

cool pics
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I can guarantee Hygrophila polysperma doesn't care about substrate. It will grow floating just fine.

You have other issues causing algae. Probably fertilization and/or CO2.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i'm using no co2, and possibly fertilization, but i'll need to keep this at hand, also my hygro is actually starting to die off...
any advice?
i've stopped fertilizing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode