What's the deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What's the deficiency?

Hi ,

I started a 10g planted tank about 10 days back.
Lighting : PL, around 3W/gallon
DIY co2 with jello.
ADA soil
NO fish

I have four types of plants- Dwarf hair grass/ Dwarf baby tears/ 2 whorled pennywort stalks/ one bunch of Hemianthus Umbrosum.

H.umbrosum on the third day-

But today it looks like this!

Could anybody tell me what trace element is deficient? Or since co2 is constantly injected, could this be a case of co2 overdose?

I'd appreciate any advice on improving this condition. Thanks!

Last edited by vinci89; 01-18-2014 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added more info about the tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You are going to need to take both pictures from the same distance away from the plants so the newest one
is the same distance as the old/first one.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Planted Member

Pale and yellowing leaves meaning iron deficiency.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbach View Post
Pale and yellowing leaves meaning iron deficiency.
It does look like iron deficiency, which can happen sometimes in newly set up soil tanks. It probably happens because plants take a while to develop roots and do not have access to iron in the mean time.

I've also seen several other soil tanks develop toxicities as the soil settles in.

I cannot see the plant on the left clearly. Are the new leaves dying or are the old leaves dying or both? Can you take a close up picture of the plant to the left?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the input.
Zapins,this is the baby tear patch to the left-

Another patch of baby tears and yes, i do see whitened leaves on them now. On the far left some of them seem too pale and maybe they are dying!?

Also I have been dosing <1ml of flouirsh excel/day.
For the iron deficiency should I start with seachem iron or would flourish(not excel) be a better option?

P.S: If the photos aren't good enough to diagnose,please do let me know. I ll take some new ones with digital camera .
Thanks again.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Tetra Pride and API Leaf Zone are both also good for iron.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Plant Whisperer

There are many options for iron, as Raymond mentioned, tetra pride and leaf zone or even flourish iron are good choices. CSM+B works as well, ferrous gluconate, DTPA chelated iron, etc... should all work too. Adding iron should help the plants to recover very quickly, unlike most of the other deficiencies leaves that are currently affected with iron deficiency tend to recover somewhat within about 3-5 days.

The good news is this is likely a temporary problem. It looks like you have aquasoil in the tank, so your plants just need to develop proper roots in order to tap the nutrients and iron that are in the aquasoil. You won't need to dose iron forever, just a few weeks.

If you don't mind taking more pictures of the iron deficient plants with the digital camera that would be great. I'd love to use these photos in the DeficiencyFinder database so other people in the future can see what iron deficiency looks like in their plants. Do you mind if I add your photos? You will receive full credit for them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If it is iron you need, you can get a 1/2lb of iron chelate for $10 at greenleafaquariums. Nearly the same price as any bottled stuff/crap and will last 10 times as long, if not longer. IMO, liquid ferts are a huge waste of money.

Eheim Pimp #448
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also check out nilocg on the sale forumn. He might have better prices, though im not too sure.

My tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Plant Whisperer

www.aquariumfertilizer.com is another source of aquarium fertilizers you can use for Iron/etc.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

I had ordered flourish iron before i saw these fertilizer suggestions/links. But I've bookmarked them, definitely going to be useful in the future.Thanks!

Zapins, I believe you were spot on about the roots not utilizing ADA soil. I just read that H.Umbrosum doesn't give out strong roots for months and as for the Baby tears, I've used the technique where I tied them onto rocks and arranged them. So their roots aren't even in contact with the soil, for now at least.

Also, here's two new pics I took with a digicam. Yes,feel free to use them. More patches are turning pale but I will soon start dosing them iron when the order arrives. Thanks again for all the help.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Plant Whisperer

Any update on these plants? Did the deficiency resolve itself after iron addition?

Zapins

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode