new 3g picotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
new 3g picotope

I just got a 3g jbj picotope. It has a 9w light 50/50 bulb. I'm wondering what kind of plants i can keep. I have done sw reefs for several years so i know the basics of aquariums but i dont know much about plants. My gravel is fairly small, but its enamel coated. The only bags of flourite were like 15 lbs and thats way to much for a 3g tank. Anyway..my gravel is about 2 inches deep. is this enough? I just picked up from 'mongo grass' and 'kyoto grass' which look like the same thing to me, the lfs said they were easy to keep. I also got some API leaf zone as a supplement. Am i started on the right foot here or is there anything I am missing? I would appreciate any and all advice!!!

Looking forward to being an active member here!

Ross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Unfortunately, your LFS lied to you. That mondo grass is a terrestrial plant that will slowly die in a truly aquatic tank. I don't know why, but they like selling plants that will never live in an aquarium. Ever wonder why they weren't packaged to be submersed in water?

Go to the SwapnShop section and ask for a nano package. They may send you some moss, fine leaved stem plants, and other such small plants.

Rexgrigg.com will help you a lot. Read it twice, then search on this forum, and then finally you may ask a question.

And you don't want a 50/50 watt bulb. You'll want a 6,500k bulb. 10,000k is white but it's a little too blue for planted tanks. Also 9w will really limit you on plants, as most low tech plants get very large. You may want to go get another 9w fixture.

And go get ADA Aquasoil Amazonia. It's a nice black color and it's the best substrate IMO/IME. That inert gravel won't be nice on your plant roots, unless you get some finer gravel.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

=/

you make it sound hard to have a decent planted tank with my setup. Are there any certain easy to keep plants that would be good to start off with?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
I have some hair grass, rotala rotundifolia, and hemianthus micranthemoides (HM) in my tank. Like the previous poster mentioned, the bulb needs to be changed to something plants can use, or you can change the whole fixture altogether. Search the forum for "desk lamps".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

I do have a desk lamp over the tank..sorry i forgot to mention. I'm assuming its 5k...very yellow by itself but with the 50/50 bulb the tank looks really good. The desk lamp is 40w i wanna say but i could be wrong. Does this increase my options?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I'm having luck with anubias petite and different kinds of mosses with 13 watts of light over my 3 gallon. Swap n Shop has great deals.

I agree that you may want another fixture over your tank, or try a desk lamp. Home Depot has a great 27 watt lamp if you want to go open-top for about $17 bucks, then you can grow HC or glosso with either DIY CO2 or some Excel. Hope that made things clearer than mud

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the quick info!!!

Im already talking to a member here about this package he can do for me. Any opinions on it? Easy enough plants to keep alive? PS i do have a desk lamp over the tank...anyway heres the package.

5lbs SMS Charcoal Substrate
Portion of Peacock Moss
Portion of Taiwan Moss
Portion of Blyxa japonica
Portion of Windelov Fern
Portion of Java Fern
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That sounds perfect, you'll have a nice setup there. Now you just need some driftwood or manzanita to tie your mosses and java ferns to, or you can use rocks. The blyxa can be planted straight into the substrate. Looking forward to pics

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

=) already got the driftwood!

Any suggestions on cool fish? I already have a beta so it needs to get along with him...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's a great thread full of nano fish:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...st-v1-0-a.html

Eheim pimp #255

40 breeder reef

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
What kind of desklamp? Make sure the Kelvin rating is in the right range for plants (~5500K-10000K). If its a soft white bulb, I'd replace it with a compact fluorescent or get another lamp.

Hopefully your lighting is sufficient for the plants you are getting. Blyxa likes alot of light and ferts IME. The rest of the plants should do well though.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode