potting soil? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
potting soil?

i was wondering can you use regular potting soil in a planted nano tank? would the plants grow and would it be ok for shrimp? i was thinking of starting a cheep tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
From what I understand you can use regular potting soil if it doesn't have added fertilizers. You'll also probably have to wait much longer before adding shrimp.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
im using miracle grow organic potting mix in my tank right now
I can tell you that it has made the water yellow, there are lots of little floating particles, and the substrate seems mushy, not as solid as most other substrates
that being said, it works and looks normal
you HAVE to cap it with something, gravel, sand, something
if you dont you will wind up with all kinds or dirt and other floating particles in your water

You will want to wash is as much as possible and screen it for large wood and sticks and other fluff they have in there
having used this method its inexpensive and workable but I probably wont use it again

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The organic miracle soil is the one to use.. I capped mine with pool filter sand and black blasting sand on top of that. I put my plants in right away before flooding.. It is a little messy to get it going but after a few months the tank is clear and the plants grown like crazy. I have shrimp and a few fish in it for over two years now with no problems.

The Fraternity of Dirt #70
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Algae Grower

mgo

I have Miracle grow organic in 3 tanks.. all capped with black sand blast sand.20/40 grit size . Plants grow great,, need at least 1 " of cap or it will leach. I found it best to screen out the big chunks so all you are using is the fines. Also wet it to the point of saturation before adding the cap, press down lightly to remove all air pockets.
It works just as well if you don't screen it, but it is messier when you pull a plant out,, lots of floaters and pieces all over the tank.. I often just cut the roots around the plant to reduce the mess..
Make sure you know the correct placement of your plants.. My first tank, almost 3 yrs ago is a jungle,, nothing is where it should be, and I would have to do a complete tear down to scape it correctly.. Plants grow great, fish love the arrangement, but it could look better...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode