5 gallon nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Talking 5 gallon nano

Hey guys. Setup my dorm tank and was teetering between a reef and planted since I do both at home, but due to cost and such and since it's in a dorm I went with the planted tank.

So far its been running for 4 days and has a whisper 10 without carbon running (so I don't have to worry about the breakdown causing phosphates), a small preset tetra heater (needs to be replaced its running the tank at 90F/ 35C), and a CPR 18w light unit. So far its planted with some rotalla indica, some rare bacopa which the name eludes me, some chain swords, cryptocornes wentii and a piece of african driftwood with some java moss I had growing in a pre-cultured tank.

Due to the lighting being on for 8-10 hours a day the rotalla is now growing its new red buds from the great lighting (which I still may up) and I have been putting small doses of flourish excel daily with flourish going in every other or every 3. Lucky for me I decided to QT the fish at home till I got everything running and cause of this heat from the heater I am glad I waited. The plants seem to love it though! I was thinking of also putting some glosso or some babytears in the tank once I can find a nice bunch/pot of them. Oh, the substrate I forgot to mention was the new flourish black sand. It looks hot in this tank with the bright flora.

I might over stock this thing just a little, but I have 6 pygmy corries that I was looking to put in with 2-3 ottos. I just can't find any nice mid swimmers to put in. Since I work at a tropical fish store I have a good selection that I can debate over putting in while I'm working there. So far I was looking at a small school of golden cardinal tetras, or a trio of some flashing rainbows. But I'm not to sure. I want something vibrant that will accent the tank nicely, any ideas?

Thanks

~Ross~
Tropical Fish World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Rummy nose tetras add a nice flash of color to the tank.

We need pics!

--Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I will try to get a photo with my web cam tonight. Rummy nose I want to stay away from, just cause they seem to generic and I find they suit larger tanks cause bigger their schools the more flash they have.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I forgot to mention that the water is temporarily alkaline, 7.5 close to 8. Also, the phospates are at 2 ppm. I was going to use seachems discus buffer to bring it down to 6.8 or so. Any recomendations for buffer before I go out and buy some? I'm trying to stay away from phosphate based buffers such as neutral regulator and proper ph products. Also, I am trying to stay away from the acid and alkaline buffers from seachem just for ease, I use them at home and love them, just don't have the time to do all that precise measuring while taking 7 college classes monday to friday lol.

In addition due to the phosphates from the tap I will probably slip a seachem phosguard pad in.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Basic idea of the tank so far:

I might put another cluster of rotalla to the left of the current one and some short baby tears to the front of the driftwood with java moss. Also if I can find some Pogostemon stellatus I would love to move that bacopa on the right somewhere to put some of that in.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

How would some CRS do in here? Any ideas of how many to stock? I was thinking of some amanos too, but I don't want to over stock too far.

|||
|||
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Anyone local to Maryland have any RCS or CRS that they are willing to sell so I could stock the tank with some?

|||
|||
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like it'll be beautiful when it grows in... speaking of which, all your plants are gonna need a lot of trimming. Good luck with the upkeep.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So far I added a ton more chain swords so the bottom of the tank is more filled out. Another bunch of rotalla indica was added next to the current one. As for the bacopa I think it might be time to look for another thing to fill that spot. I tried bidding on stuff at a local fish organizations meeting/auction but prices go too ridiculously high.

As for fish there is a reaaaally bright apisto macmasterii male with a female apisto borellii. They have been happily residing there for over a week now. The 3 amanos have disappeared though. Only the odd one comes out. I was thinking of removing that wood and put a more flatter stone with some phoenix moss or does anyone else have any ideas?

|||
|||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode