new 10" cube FILLED - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
new 10" cube FILLED

Hey all, after seeing some of the nice nano tanks here, I decided to try one of my own. Today, I added the flourite substrate that I had leftover from a couple of other tanks. I'm playing around with the hardscape and trying to find a good configuration. I would appreciate any input on the rock placement, as I am not really experienced using mainly rocks in a tank. Any opinions would be great. I'll be planting HC and dwarf hairgrass, and then using the method described by Tom Barr in another post before filling the tank up. I'll post more pictures once i've got them all planted. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mpodolan; 03-03-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Get bigger rocks.

FUNction over form

post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:40 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
is it glass or acrilyc tank, because if it is acrilyc the side seems to be light... i was using one of these box made of acrilyc and one day "crack".....

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklikewhoa View Post
Get bigger rocks.
Well, here are two other options that I was able to find. Either of these look better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbius View Post
is it glass or acrilyc tank, because if it is acrilyc the side seems to be light... i was using one of these box made of acrilyc and one day "crack".....
It is acrylic. I have it on good authority that it should be solid. i sure hope so!

Mike

post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK, I got it all planted and decided on this rock placement for the mean time. I still might change it, so any input would still be appreciated!

Mike

post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
The rocks are okay- of the two on your second post, I prefer the second option. Consider moving the main rock more off-center, and use the smaller rocks along with it to provide a more dynamic scene.

You may consider going out and finding some different rocks. In aquascaping, the more faces and fractures a rock may have, the more character it seems to possess, thus making the layout more interesting. This is especially critical in Iwagumi layouts, as the rocks serve as the sole point of interest.

Good luck.
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

IMO I would slope the flourite to the left side of the back, place the large rock there, and add similar rock in the front. But I think the rock should be taller not wider. Otherwise the HC ans Hair grass will cover the rock. The rock should be at least reach 1/3 of the height if the tank but 1/2 the height would be better.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK, how about this. I switched to the larger rock, moved it to the left and added a smaller one as well. It's just difficult because I don't really have a good source of stones here

Mike

post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you can't find nice sized stones, you can always take a "large" stone and get a hammer & chisel and take calculated hits. Sometimes the pieces that break off of the main piece are uniquely shaped and small enough to work with in small sized tanks.

--Daniel

post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
actually i like that last one the best, and #3.

it'll look neat filled in.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for all the input and suggestions! If anyone else has any more input, feel free to let me know. Hopefully the plants take of in a couple weeks. I'm excited to have it up and running, and to figure out what fauna I should put in this tank

Mike

post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The last picture looks a lot better. If you can't find bigger rock then go with the last scape. Just remember to keep the hair grass behind the rock, because it looks like its almost as tall as the large rock.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK, so I got annoyed with this setup, so I spent some cash and bought some ADA Amazonia II and some more HC. I just added the new HC, so I'm looking forward to using the dry method and watching the progress with the new substrate. I have some Seiryu stones coming soon, so then I'll start working on the hardscape. Here's a quick overhead look. I'll post some more pics with the stones once they arrive. I'm sure I'll need some help configuring them!

Mike

post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just curious why you replaced the flourite with aquasoil?
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I guess mainly I just wanted to try something different. I have used flourite in other tanks, and I like it a lot. But, I felt the smaller grain size/color/ease of use for this method(ie. no ferts needed initially) made AS a better choice. Plus, I was buying some AS for a re-scape of another tank, so I figured I could steal some of that to use in this tank (read: I can't stop spending money on this hobby)

Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode