should i turn off my light over the weekend? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
should i turn off my light over the weekend?

i have a 8"x8"x8" cube at work with a 26w twist fluorescent bulb over it. i was wondering if i should keep my light on over the weekend or turn it off. lighting over the weekend would be from either 9am saturday till 9pm monday nonstop, or 9am-6pm saturday off from 6pm saturday untill 9am monday.

plants in the tank right now are java fern (not really worrid about, i think this would grow anywhere) and m.minuta it seems a little duller this morning, this was the reason for the question.

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Can you put it on a timer

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i guess i could but i would rather not, its at work and i dont even have timers on my tanks at home.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I went out of town a few weeks ago for the weekend and left my light on. I came home to a bad algae outbreak. I've been battling it ever since. I finally decided to do a black out to try to get it back under control.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
i guess you could leave it on, on the weekends but i would be worried about the long term having long perids of light then 5 days of medium light. May lead to algea

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Why would you rather not have a time at work?
It would be best to keep the tank on a light schedule than to leave it on all weekend, at your house you can turn your lights on before work and off after work but your office tank can't do it without you (or a timer) when you are gone. They aren't expensive and make it better for the plants, the java would probably survive with the lights off over the weekend but I'm not sure about the minuta, I think it would prefer a light schedule.

A friend of mine from work has had a betta in a bowl for a year (everyone else in the office has lost their's except one other person) and she was going to give him to me because she is tired of all the water changes, this weekend she brought over a little nano tank that she received and I set it up with A. nana and a Windelov Java Fern + driftwood and a timer for the light.
Now she has a filter, live plants and she won't have to worry about the lights anymore

-Cassie S.
No fish or invert tanks right now... just 1 H. azureiventris...
But I'm working on that!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:25 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You should get a timer. Right now you're thinking about the weekend, what happens when you are on vacation or a business trip for a week, are you going to leave it off or on for nine days straight? Timers are less than ten dollars at any megamart like Walmart or Target, it's a good investment.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PET- i spend allot of time at at wor im talkin over 12 mwf. and at home my wife can help with the lights.

gnome- when i am on vacation there are other people in the office that i trust to turn the light off and on.

all i know is that in nature clouds cover the sun for what seems like weeks at a time in some instances granted uv rays and stuff still penetrate the clouds.

im just trying to figure out whats better off or on over the weekend.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Wait, you're using sunlight?
And I'd say off since I really really hate algae... All my tanks have algae outbreaks all the time and I still have yet to rid of them. And you are growing pretty low light plants and get sunlight right?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
I guess off

-Cassie S.
No fish or invert tanks right now... just 1 H. azureiventris...
But I'm working on that!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
He's not using sun light, he's giving an example.

I'd turn it off when you leave for the weekend.
a couple days without light never hurt notin!

i leave all my lights off when i leave on vacation(2-5 day)

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
A timer is an absolute must IMO. Just spring the $10 or whatever it is to get yourself a timer and you never have to worry about forgetting to do anything again. Consistency is key!

--Daniel

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd say a timer would be the best solution. But if the timer isnt going to happen, I would say lights off, too. Plants cant use a photoperiod longer than 10-12 hours/day. They need to rest. But the algae can. It would use light 24hrs/day it it were allowed to do so. But it cant use light that's not there . No light would at least allow the plants to respirate for a couple of days, but it wouldnt fuel algae growth. At least that is what it seems like to me.

But a timer would be a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing As well as provide consistency for the plants.

Good luck with the tank!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
timer - $7 at home depot - $8 at petsmart.
get one. you'll thank us.

and what does clouds & uv have to do with anything?

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
$5 timers at Tar-jay

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode