3 Gallon Tank Cycled in 3 Days? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
3 Gallon Tank Cycled in 3 Days?

Is it possible or is it like getting a false positive from a pregnancy test?

First of all this my first attempt at cycling an aquarium and have done some research online. So from what I've read smaller tanks cycle faster with the appropriate bio-media?

3 Gallon Marineland Crescent Tank
2 Anubias (purchased at a LFS)
1 Mystery Snail

Results from my API Freshwater Master Test Kit attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	260042  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And a picture of the tank...

Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	260050  

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Did you use media from another tank? If so, the bioload of the snail is being taken care of with the excessive bacteria in the media.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Only media I could think of that would contain bacteria were the plants that were rooted in the gravel of the LFS aquarium stocked with fish. With the results from my test kit does that mean the tank is ready? I only plan on adding a beta or dwarf puffer in the near future, and plan on doing 2x a week PWCs.

And should I be dosing with any type of ferts for the plants?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Unless you're dosing ammonia, I don't think you have enough in your tank.

Anubias is a extremely slow growing plant & doesn't really require fertilizer as long as you do routine water changes. Also don't bury the rhizome/roots in the substrate, it'll cause the plant to slowly decay.

Nitrates are 80 ppm?

What do you plan to stock the tank with when the tank is cycled?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Prolly not enough bioload to begin cycling processs-= no ammonia or nitrites.
Am surprised at high nitrate reading according to photo.
Maybe nitrates in tapwater?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You need to test your cycle by dosing ammonia up to around 3-4ppm (sometimes hard to tell with API test chart) and if within 24hrs. you have 0ppm of ammonia and 0ppm of nitrite then you are cycled. If you are not in that 24 hour window test in another x number of hours and so on. If you are not showing any signs of this dropping, then your tank is not cycled. I think the members name is Diana but if you are not cycled, then you should do a search for her posts. She has some good advice on cycling tanks.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^ If your tank still needs to cycle, do a fishless cycle.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Would NOT do fishless cycle with snail present unless you wish to kill it.
Would add some more plant's ,fast grower like watersprite.
Would put tiny amount of food for the snail in the tank every two day's and perform water change each week of at least a gallon.This would allow the tank to mature(cycle) naturally as the snailpoop,and fishfood/snailfood produce small amount of ammonia that fast growing plant's would utilize= less harm to snail.After a couple week's you could introduce small shrimp's maybe five or six.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Unless you're dosing ammonia, I don't think you have enough in your tank.

Anubias is a extremely slow growing plant & doesn't really require fertilizer as long as you do routine water changes. Also don't bury the rhizome/roots in the substrate, it'll cause the plant to slowly decay.

Nitrates are 80 ppm?

What do you plan to stock the tank with when the tank is cycled?
I've got the rhizomes above the gravel with only the roots holding it down. The plant on the right of the tank I just left in its sponge root holder it was attached to. Will that rot if left like that?

Looks that way to me too. Guess I'll test the tap water to see if it does contain nitrates.

Just a single beta or dwarf puffer haven't made up my mind yet. I've read different opinions about having a fish with the snail, but I think I'd be very mindful of the water quality.

And I do not wish to kill the snail. So I think dosing with ammonia would be bad for it?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
No. Theyre hard to kill IME. Dosing ammonia will help the get the bacteria growing, which in the long run will be better for the snail.

My tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinand21 View Post
I've got the rhizomes above the gravel with only the roots holding it down. The plant on the right of the tank I just left in its sponge root holder it was attached to. Will that rot if left like that?

Looks that way to me too. Guess I'll test the tap water to see if it does contain nitrates.

Just a single beta or dwarf puffer haven't made up my mind yet. I've read different opinions about having a fish with the snail, but I think I'd be very mindful of the water quality.

And I do not wish to kill the snail. So I think dosing with ammonia would be bad for it?
Yes,remove the sponge/floss material from the plant.
Yes,,dosing ammonia would be bad for the snail.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

[QUOTE=cbachmann;5072050]No. Theyre hard to kill IME. Dosing ammonia will help the get the bacteria growing, which in the long run will be better for the snail.[/QUOTE

Do tell...

And just how much ammonia does it take to kill the snail.??
PFFT!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know about mystery snails, but I've had pond, ramshorns, MTS, and mini-ramshorns develop pretty big populations during the cycling process.

I think snails (at least those...) are pretty tolerant of crappy water conditions.

And, what are you using to cycle your tank, I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

I think it's very unlikely to establish a sufficient bacterial colony in that amount of time, usually it takes at least a couple days to get the ammonia processing ones established, and then quite a bit longer to get the slower-growing nitrite processing ones established.

The only other things I can think of is if you used some media that was already established, used some sort of bacteria-in-a-bottle that worked exceptionally well, or you have some plants sucking up the ammonia (but then you wouldn't see nitrates...)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I don't know about mystery snails, but I've had pond, ramshorns, MTS, and mini-ramshorns develop pretty big populations during the cycling process.

I think snails (at least those...) are pretty tolerant of crappy water conditions.

And, what are you using to cycle your tank, I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

I think it's very unlikely to establish a sufficient bacterial colony in that amount of time, usually it takes at least a couple days to get the ammonia processing ones established, and then quite a bit longer to get the slower-growing nitrite processing ones established.

The only other things I can think of is if you used some media that was already established, used some sort of bacteria-in-a-bottle that worked exceptionally well, or you have some plants sucking up the ammonia (but then you wouldn't see nitrates...)

+ on snail durability, have pond snails that could survive a nuclear attack... wall lethal ammonia and extremely lethal nitrate levels. I agree with the others, its not cycled, you haven't given enough food for the bacteria to grow yet. I'd check you tap and even consider having a second test it to test nitrates (or take to a lfs that tests for free) my tap comes out at 10-20 nitrates (can't tell on api test card). I've also had 3 bottles of nitrates and one gave much higher readings (for same water at same time) as the others aka faulty test solution.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode