Some of you may have seen my 20 gal tank and it's transitions. Well it has made the biggest one yet and that was to a SW reef tank. I had been keeping only rcs in that 20 gal and decided (after finding a great deal in CL) to do a transfer.
This was the 20 gal the day of the take down.
I cleaned the 7 gal and changed the light to a 18 watt 6500k bulb. This is my 1st attempt at a low tech planted tank
I wanted to use the substrate from the 20 gal but only wanted the florabase not the sand (never ever again next time I will just buy new substrate).
I decided the way to get this done was to lower the water lever in the 20 gal so I could catch all the shrimp.
This method was very had and I realized that I need to remove all the plants, as I removed plants the shrimp would migrate to the areas which were still planted thus making easier to cath them. I could however only get the fastest of the bunch be removing all plants
To remove and seperate the substrate (again do not try this) I used 2 buckets, as I found and area which was very mixed (sand and florabase) I would put it in the trash bucket (I did use this but I used it for potted plants)
The areas which were mostly florabase would be added to the good bucket. This took some time and at points would require going through the areas by hand trying to scape the top sand layer to the side to get to the substrate I wanted.
The end result was very effective however
I then added the washed off subsrate and my hardscape to the 7 gal
I wasn't able to take pics as I planted becuase the substrate seperation took soooooooooo long and at this point I wanted to get the tank back into running shape. The tank right after planting and adding the water (50% from the 20 gal 50% new treated water) was VERY cloudy
It took about 2 days to completely clear up, but it looks pretty nice now next to my desk and like I said it is somewhat of an experment as this is my 1st fully planted low light no CO2 tank.
I will update this thread as the growth happens.