Starting up a 10gal. Planted Tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting up a 10gal. Planted Tank!

I'm turning my 10gal. into a planted tank and need some suggestions on what plants would be good. I have a hard time picturing how different plants will look when all together in one tank.

Right now I just have the standard lighting on the tank but I will upgrade the lighting as much as I need to.

I don't know too much about CO2, if it is easy to use or is a hassle so for now I'm going to say that I don't want to try it.

For substrate I think I'm going with Eco-Complete, with some areas being unplanted with white sand substrate.

I want to go for a look that you would see outside (not underwater scene), I want to have a "tree", "bushes", "sidewalk" area, etc. and I might use some eggcrate to make different levels within the tank. I've seen a picture before of the kind of look I am going for (it probably was on this sight actually so I'll try to find the pic).

As for the plants what I know for sure that I want is micro umbrosum (sp?), some kind of grass and/or moss for a "lawn", and a few marimo balls. But other than that I'm open for suggestions.

Other plants I like but don't necessarily have to have:

cardamine
riccia
bacopa monnieri
lobelia cardinalis (small form)
creeping jenny
and theres lots more I'm sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
What is "standard" lighting? And is 10 gal really a nano?
Anyway, I always though of using a piece of drift wood and sticking maybe a bushy java fern or like moss on top to give a tree look, not sure if it'll really work, but I'm gonna try that once I find a piece of wood that would work.
And CO2 is good if you have high lighting to give better growth and prevent algae growth, though I'm sure you can go without from what I heard.
And can't really help you from there on as I have a lot to learn!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=gotcheaprice;465122]What is "standard" lighting? And is 10 gal really a nano?[QUOTE]

Standard lighting is whatever lighting comes with a typical 10gal. tank...so I basically have the lowest wattage for a 10gal.

And to some a 10gal. is a nano. I had to ask myself that question too before posting but I figured it was small enough to be a "nano" considering that with a 10gal. tank you have to really narrow down the choices of plants to those that won't grow too high or too bushy...and thats one of my problems in selecting plants for the tank, that and I just have a hard time picturing plants in a tank and how one kind of plant will look with other kinds of plants.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've seen a tree made with anubias petite at the top of driftwood. Looks very cool.

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40 breeder reef

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by if_fishes_were_wishes View Post
I've seen a tree made with anubias petite at the top of driftwood. Looks very cool.
I think I'm going to go with just a "tree stump" look but if I could find the perfect looking driftwood "tree" then putting some kind of plant on it to make "leaves" would be cool.

Can someone give me a good idea of some plants that would look good in a 10gal. tank.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Should i take this to the non- nano area?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I saw a couple other 10 gallons in this thread, I think it's fine here, but that's just me Looking forward to seeing some pics!

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
What would be interesting is to have a tree stump that has "epithytes" on it.
If you can pull this look off in a 10g I'm sure we would all be interested in seeing photos, the sidewalk and bushes, etc.
Your best bet would be putting the Riccia on small rocks and using those as the bushes (well, depending on the look your going for) but a moss might be easier to work with for that, and the Lobelia as small trees.
Someone will pop up eventually and have better suggestions for you, I bet.

-Cassie S.
No fish or invert tanks right now... just 1 H. azureiventris...
But I'm working on that!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

I'll probably have a "tree" and a "sidewalk" area in the middle dividing two planted areas. Not sure what to put in those areas though. And along side the "sidewalk" is where I would probably put some rocks with riccia or moss. Any suggestions of plants for the two side areas of the tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode