5 Litre Nano, need some questions awnsered - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
5 Litre Nano, need some questions awnsered

hi all im new to the forum but not new to aquariums ok here goes

hi all well i was at neilsons native nursery and they had this tiny 5 litre aquarium with curved corners and i have been looking for a very small aquarium that i could have a play around with. well any way my birthday is in about three weeks so i am going to use my birthday money to buy it as i am poor (12 years old) i just have a couple of questions first.

I was thinking of putting a couple of ghost shrimp in it and maby some snails? what do u think?
also the plants i am thinking of using are java moss and and i forget the name of the other plant o and riccia and i am using some small bits of driftwood, what do u think?

i am planning on making diy c02 and i am thinking of using a 300ml bottle as the tank is so small?
also would a 11 watt light be any good as that is the only one i can afford

also because this tank is not going to have any filter with the co2 i was think of just bringing one tube from the bottle then at the end have a 3 way connector and then have 1 bit of tube going to each end of the aquarium i was thinking that would spread the c02 out a bit just a thought
also i was just thinking would white cloud minnows be any good in a tank this size as i am not having a heater and these fish are coldwater fish right?

Tell me what you think?

regards jakeroberts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

hey i am thinking of not having any fish in it now probaly just some shrimp
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'm not sure if you can reallt grow ricca under 11 watts. I'd say it's still under low lighting, as maybe 23 or 27 would be high, which ricca needs. I don't know how well CO2 would really go without a filter cause a night, the fauna will probably suffocate, which won't be good.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

h well i might put a small filter in then but soea evrything els sound alright also do u reckon my co2 idea will work with the 3 way connection
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've got riccia growing under 13 watts of light in a 3 gallon and no CO2. Give it a try

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40 breeder reef

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
you'd be surprised what can grow in a nano under lower light....it will likely grow much more slowly but with riccia that's a plus
A couple of Endler's males would be fine in that setup as well if you're looking for fish. White clouds may get a bit big for that setup, but a couple would be ok to try as well imo.

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode