All open top tank people - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy All open top tank people

Do you have problems with fish jumping out???

I have a 6 gal bow and I Lose ALL my fish over time. I come home from work like every 2 weeks or so and theres a dried up tetra on my counter!!!!

I bought 6 Neons, they all jumped. Then 6 Glowlights and they all jumped.

Do you just keep your water level fairly low???

I might just have to go PLANT ONLY on this little tank!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 05:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
The couple tanks I've had with no top have been fine in the past few years, bettas, white clouds... the last thing that launched out was a Dojo Loach about 8 years ago... they go all whacky so they can be found on your carpet all over the house, pretty sad.

Couldn't you get a plexi top cut for it or?

How about trying some RCS for it? That way you get a live critter running around and don't have to look for crisp fish.

-Cassie S.
No fish or invert tanks right now... just 1 H. azureiventris...
But I'm working on that!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatItDo View Post

I have a 6 gal bow and I Lose ALL my fish over time. I come home from work like every 2 weeks or so and theres a dried up tetra on my counter!!!!

"carpet surfing" is a pretty common thing with open top tanks, although many are lucky and have fish that never jumps! In my experience, it happens less frequently with bigger tanks with lighter loads. Some fish are more likely to jump than others, though.

have you considered a thin and clear acrylic/glass lid?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
my gold tetras aren't jumpers at all. My tiger loach is still in the tank too. Thin plexi at home deopt is cheap and easy to cut (box blade + straight edge = score and break) if you have jumper issues. It's thin enough to just lay on the rim's inner lip.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
well my tank is one of these fancy no seams curved tempered glass ones (well the bacl piece is silconed and the bottom.) I figured it would be too much of a pain to get a piece of acrylic cut.

My light has the legs that go over the inside edges. So I would have to rest it on top. I guess that wouldnt be reccomended on that Plexi from Home Depot huh???

maybe those Coralife legs will fit on my light. I jsut want to have a real nice clean look u know.I dont want to have to prop my light up with wood or anything.

Thanks for the replys i'm going to check out that plexi this weekend.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 06:36 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
try a night light maybe. theory being that they can't see the surface at night so they just end up going right out as they torpedo towards the surface- with a night light they know when to stop
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
With my first fish in my 20 I had some issues. my Silver tip tetras were harassing my black neons like mad and I would get a few that tried to jump away from danger. Once I fed the silver tips to my tiger fish that problem stopped and I haven't had jumpers since.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Smile

Make a top from bridal netting & something to serve as a frame. For saltwater tanks a top is generally fashioned from ceiling diffusor{eggcrate} , to this the bridal netting can be glued, hot glued..etc.Most small sw fish are jumpers..ie:gobies, blennies, dartfish, wrasses, etc. Even if plants are in the tank, they will still get light through this.{corals are kept without light issues}
If you want to take nice photos, just remove while you take them. Cheap insurance so no fish loss due to jumpers.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's an idea I really like the look of for open tanks:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=817485

Personally I think it looks prettier that a plexiglass top.

Harry
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:07 PM

cover the top lip of the tank with some kind of washable ink and then carefully lay the plexi cover over it to transfer the mark. Cut with a dremel and you're set
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I use plastic cross-stitching grids and build a little wall around my tank rim....just about 2" which has done a great job of keeping the fish in.

I saw that post on reefcentral.com with the net panel but with a rimless tank it would still stick out and at the same time block out a bit of light.

FUNction over form

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I use floaters!

Mini frogbit, giant frogbit, pistia water lettuce, Phyllanthus fluitans, even duckweed works! It has the added benefit of a bit of extra shade if you have algae troubles. Let me know if you need any - I'd be glad to send you a handful!

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatItDo View Post

Are you sure your tank is fully cycled?

12 fish jumping seems a lil odd no?

In the past year I have had 1 fish jump "knocking on wood"

I have read about fish jumping when "parameters" aren't right...

Just a thought

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Bridal netting, now there is something I never thought of!
I actually used a disassembled clear loofa

I do prefer it to a glass top, though it is quite noticeable. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to block very much light at all. The plants growth patterns and coloration are the same.

I do think I've heard a fish bounce of it at least once in the middle of the night.
I've never had a major fish jumping problem, but my harlequins do seem to get spooked and go flying from time to time.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
Coincidentally I just had a fish jump out today or yesterday. I have a ADA Mini M tank which originally had 3 Neons, 6 Black Neon Tetras, and 3 Harlequin Rasboras.

Over a period of of 6 months or so, I've had 3 Black Neon Tetras jump out and die. At first I thought it was because I kept the water level way too high. I thought I had the water level too high, but it is about 3/4 inch from the top now and I still had a jumper.

I've also had 1 Neon freak out and jump twice. Both times I discovered him in time to throw him back in and he's fine now. The Rasboras have never jumped. The Neons do seem scared of the Black Neons and Rasboras, but hang out together with them so I don't know.

I've thought of getting a glass or acrylic top as well but I don't know if I will like the look of it, especially with the holes I'd have to cut for the inflow and outflow pipes I want to buy. Does anyone have pics of an ADA tank with a top on it with holes cut in it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode