My New Cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Smile My New Cube

Still a little cloudy and needs more plants. This is day 2. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Well you said it....it needs more plants and IMO that rock is top heavy.

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for your reply. I do have some plants coming from an online order, and a small piece of driftwood. It will come together, it will just take time. I'm sure when most of you just started with planted tanks they were'nt great the first day. It takes nurturing and working with it to get it where you like it. This is a tough crowd here, with high standards..I get that. Sometimes a little encouragement is all someone needs though to keep trying.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
What kind of lighting do you have? It's nicely scaped, needs some cherry shrimp scaling the mountain

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40 breeder reef

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
What is the filter that you are using? I like how very clear it is!! Also, maybe you could get some tweezers and define the white sand river a touch by pulling out some of the disobedient black gravel. Look forward to seeing it grow up though!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you both. Well, after the constructive criticism I received{ } I took a hammer to the rock and came up with these three pieces. I took out the entire substrate and redid the whole thing, because when I unearthed the rock all the soil started coming out.And my piece of driftwood arrived in the mail. I will be working on getting rid of the "dalmation effect" of the sand that has been displaced into the gravel.
The lighting is a 6500K 13 wt desk lamp. It will have crystal red shrimp soon I hope. The filter is a Red Sea Nano Filter.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Aw man i really like the look of the rock.. it looked like a cliff over a river..

One month in.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenbarb View Post
Aw man i really like the look of the rock.. it looked like a cliff over a river..
Like the Palisades fronzenbarb?? lol.

waterfaller1:
I like this little tank. I like the redo on the substrate. Alot better. i think you need some more boaundary "somethings" between the two substates. its to, like you said, "dalmation". Perhaps moss covered rocks, or low draping plants like micro swords, etc.

but good start!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
MUUUUCH better. I like the new rock placement. Be sure to cycle the tank BEFORE you add cherry shrimp ( If you plan on adding more than a couple). Don't be stupid like me and throw them in an uncycled underplanted tank and expect them to live

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. I really like it alot better now too. The rock was just too big and mishaped. I thought it was too hard to break..but one good whack with a hammer and...
Thanks for the advice on the shrimp too. There will be 10 of them.I was thinking of getting some used media from a friend's tank to move the process along. My shrimp may be here as soon as next week so I need to have it ready. I am going tomorrow for test kits. Any advice on what brand is best?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Test kit quality isn't my field of expertise, the more experienced members here can help you with that. You may try doing a search here to see if any threads pop up (I'm sure it's been discussed before) . I'd recommend getting the used media from your friend's tank. I'd also recommend not putting 10 shrimp in that tank right now. Maybe a couple. It looks like that tank's a gallon or two? It will hold ten shrimp no problem, but without cycling the tank fully first, you're asking for dead shrimp. I just went through this. Read and learn from my mistakes.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...er-change.html
Shrimp are extremely prone to nitrite poisoning, especially if they've just been shipped to your house, which adds to the stress equation. IMO, stuff that tank full of fast growing stems and add a couple of shrimp to the new tank. Put the rest in a cycled tank. As your new cube cycles you can slowly add more shrimp. I promise you if you add all ten at once, you will get dead shrimp.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:39 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Look nice so far, I can't wait till the plants fill up.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Yea, good thing that whack made some good pieces! Imagine if it was a bad whack!

I absolutely LOOOVE the rocks and their placement now. I'm not a big fan of those round-leafed stems, but you said you have plants coming(?) so I'll be patient. Stems aren't entirely a bad idea, but maybe finer leafed ones. For me, the big leaves just make the tank smaller. I would love the use of some plants like weeping willow, HC or riccia (or some combination of some of these) in this tank.

Anyways, looking forward to how this tank will progress!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you! I have some HC coming, a mini pellia, anubias wrinkle leaf, christmas moss, and a marimo ball. Maybe you can all help me with placement when they arrive?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

May I ask some totally newbie questions?
If I decided to add CO2, how hard is it to learn & can you direct me to some articles that explain it to a novice?. What is better, the equipment from AFA or the Hydor? What is the difference between them? What is the purpose of the two glass items I see in photos. I get that one is a "bubble counter", what is the larger fluted part for? Do the glass parts hang on any tank by themselves, or are there additional parts?
Is everything I need here?:
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...products_id=15

&
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=211

Are snails such as MTS or nerites desirable in a planted tank? How do you acclimate nerites from saltwater to freshwater?

Thank you for any info.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode