Suppose this will do. :) 2.5 gallon Bowl! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suppose this will do. :) 2.5 gallon Bowl!

Been awhile since i've been active on this forum, however i figured its about time i start up a new project!

So i went out and bought a 2.5 gallon drum bowl.

Here are the stats:
-2.5 gallon bowl
-7.5 watt hydor heater
-2" fluval plant stratum
-Seachem ferts. (if needed)
*No filter
*No CO2
Lighting i have yet to figure out, i was thinking a desk lamp overtop but lowest watt bulb i can find is 15 watts, possibly if i hold the light above and away it would work causing no algae issues, however it may not look as nice. So that will be my first experiment with this process.

I plant on putting in my little Platinum Male halfmoon betta in there with an apple snail OR a couple shrimp for algae control if needed.

The reason for the betta going in there is he is unable to put up with even the slightest currant, his front swimmie fins are gimbled and his back fins are so heavy he's much less stressed in a decent sized smaller tank w/ no filter so this should suit him well.

I will add pictures tomorrow when the water starts to clear up a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Retired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
-Davey the Bearded dragon.
-Couple little rescue lap dogs: Boots and Teddy.
-2 Holland lop house rabbits- Percy and Pippen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Walmart has GE 4pk of 10w and 13w 6500k CFL's for $7. I had the 13w but switched to the 10w after a small algae outbreak.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Heres is the first day of its setup.
No light yet, so the only light on it atm is from the aquarium beside it. Hopfully soon i will go and grab some of those 10 watts!

Edit: Eek sorry about it being flipped, i don't know why it did that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bowl1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	253377  

-Retired.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And here is the updated pictures of it.

Changes:
Replaced heater with 25 watt elite as the hydor was not heating it up enough.
Took out driftwood and replaced it with a small stone (may also take stone out).
Added 2 guppys (until i can rehome them)
Added 1 HM betta.
Added a light hood off the 5 gallon until i get the desk lamp. Currently running the 15 watt.

What do you all think, Any recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowl betta.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	256257  

-Retired.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
I like it very much. once the plants grow up and hide the heater it will be even better. very natural looking scape you have there.

-Jacklyn
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower

I like the rock don't take it out!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Nice set up, my concern would be that the rock looks rather sharp/jagged in that last photo and a betta may find a way to shred its fins on it (not maliciously just from general exploring and swimming).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses everyone, and the rock is actually very smooth, i made sure of that, it just has a jagged look which is why i liked it. :P

I've only ever had one betta that didn't get along with my guppys so far and that was in my last 5 gallon. This betta is so easy going, he 'schools' with the guppys every now and again. Its actually pretty cute.!

I will for sure be keeping the plants trimmed out and down as not to overcrowd.
Thats why i chose this betta to be placed in here, hes not a swimmer at all, he just likes to explore around slowly due to his big fins.

-Retired.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
looks nice. 15w over 2.5 gals sounds about perfect, don't change that. some excel, and your plants should grow nicely.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I guess any wattage light can be made to work. I had a 13w 6" above the rim of my 2g vase and had algae problems. I raised it to 10" and reduced the amount of algae by a bit...but now I was lighting up the whole room with ambient light. I now have a 10w that is 7" above the rim and its doing fine. Still hate the ambient light though.

What I would like to find is a super low watt cfl to place directly over the rim. When I place my current light 1" above the rim, plants look amazing. At 7", they look nice but very shadowed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode