What is best -all in one- freshwater nano tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is best -all in one- freshwater nano tank?

Howdy,

I'm looking to start a nano tank that WILL grow plants.

I made the mistake of buying an eclipse 5 gallon tank and thought it would be bright enough to grow.

It has since been returned.

I just purchased the 6 gallon 18w jbj nano.
Does anyone have this tank?

Thanks

Last edited by blazer; 09-04-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 04:09 AM

dont have this tank but heard many negative things about jbj. your best bet i say is aquapod or best oceanic.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have the 12 gallon and I love it. Its a great set-up. It comes with everything you need expect the heater. Its a nice size shape for planting in. I wouldnt change a thing about it. It also looks pretty cool IMO

John

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a 6G Nano-Cube from JBJ and have never had problems with it, in fact, I own 2 of them w/zero complaints! These tanks are pretty nice all-in-one setups with decent enough lighting to grow plants. If you ever wanted to upgrade the lights, visit: http://nanotuners.com/ and buy a 18W upgrade kit. I upgraded to the 3x18W kit since my 6G is a SW reef setup, but 2x18W should be more than enough for a FW planted setup to grow most of the plants you want. Good luck!

--Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Algae Grower

Depending on what you would like to keep and what lighting requirements you have I would look at one of the tanks from Nanocustoms.com. The upgraded lighting and cooling options are wonderful. As far as a specific make or model..I have had the nano cube and aqua pod and can really say that the aquapod served me better for a multitude of reasons, mostly to do with cooling and ease of use. Good luck.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 03:01 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
any additional lighting can be sunlight.. it's free.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
any additional lighting can be sunlight.. it's free.
That made me LOL, I forgot about the sun!

--Daniel

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Planted Member

all in one

I have the 2.5 gal Mini Bow tank... I upgraded the light (no modifications) using a CF 14w 5500k instead of the 15w heat lamp that comes with it... grows plants all day long. i also upgraded the filter, but that's not a requirement. tank is like $25-30 and light bulb is around $10-12.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

20g Tall Low Tech Planted
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 12:23 AM

PTrader: (50/100%)
I have a 12 gal. Nano Cube DX. It has more than enough light. Almost too much. I absolutely love it and I plan to get rid of my 30 gal. tank to get more Nano Cubes. You won't even need a heater since they run warm anyway. I've never had a heater in mine. The temp ranges from 78-79.5 F depending on the lights on or off. My room temp is a constant 72F with the air conditioner on.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got the oceanic 8 gallon bio cube ($150.00)...It was cost a little more than the JBJ 6 (114.00) but the 2 extra gallons and the total capacity of 32W vs 18w was a seller.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 PM

Honestly, if you really look at what they entail, I really don't recognize any points of differentiation between the three main nanocube manufacturers. They're all pretty much the same, the only difference being the lighting--but that's a regular versus deluxe issue, not a brand issue. I think all 3 of them would make decent planted tanks, though i've only used them for reefs.

I am pretty new on the planted side of things, but I think the relative value of the built in sump they have in the back is less valuable with FW than it is with SW. As a consequence, if I were nano shopping I'd save money by getting something like the Finnex 8G nano, which is $60 for tank and light. As a fan of open tops, I like the look a bit better and it's easier on the budget. Just my two cents.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Algae Grower

One of the big things with all those tanks is the heat factor though. Another option would be to order just the replactment tank from nano tuners.com 40-50 bucks, and then figure out your own lighting that allows for more air flow and cooling options.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 02:46 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I have the AquaPod 12 G, and it runs HOT HOT HOT, as in 86 degrees in a 78 degree room with just the pump and one of the two lights going. I've since done the following:

1. removed the ribs in all the air vents over the lights and the ballast to increase air flow
2. installed a second fan
3. replaced the stock pump with a 9W MaxiJet

Now it's only 80 degrees, which is fine. I had no idea I'd have to do so much work just to make it useable, though.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I love my NC12g DX!!

FUNction over form

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have the 6g JBJ and hate the water pump that is in that thing and the fan is loud. Shut it down after 6 months. Now it sits in storage collecting dust. I hate it cause it cost so dang much but that water pump just never worked right.
If I can find a small pump that would fit in that spot I'd set it back up.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode