My 2.5 when it was in its prime - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
My 2.5 when it was in its prime

It's now a little nursery but it was pretty heavily planted a few months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks great, is that ZooMed 501 on a 2.5g? How did it work? how did you reduce the flow?

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep it's a ZooMed 501, I tried to point the spray bar more towards the surface, mostly to try and break up the biofilm that sometimes occurred.

The driftwood helped to reduce some of the flow and the staurogyne repens in the front blocked a lot as well as it came down the front glass pane. Currently I'm not using the spray bar which I think reduces the outflow a lot, especially if it's facing towards the surface.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Interesting. I have one a 12 long 36" x 8" x 9" roughly and it's almost to powerful for my cardinal tetras and celestial peral danios. I might pick one up at Petco tomorrow as their having a half off sale on them and use it in a future nano. Thanks for the info!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
beatuiful carpet. What is that? Could you sell/give me some, perchance? Also, did you DSM it, or did you just let it grow and give it lots of trimmings?

My tanks:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's glossostigma elatinoides. I started the entire tank with literally 2 little pots of the stuff I bought at a lfs. Probably only 50 good stems betwen the two pots. Started it 6 months ago and now its growing more than ever. One trick I've learned is if you let the stems branch out a few new stems and then cut them all once decently matured they will in turn start branching out from each spot you cut. I can remember month 4-5 I spent a whole afternoon cutting almost every one I could find making sure not to uproot them. Since then it has literally quadrupled ever other week.

Here's a pic I dug up of the tank at 1 month in.

Crazy to think I was proud of that 5 months ago.

Heres a pic from tonight

As for being able to spare any unfortunately I'll be unable till a few months. I purchased about 30 cherry shrimp from a local fish tank owner and some of the shrimp are very tiny and are using the thick mat as cover. Not to mention I have 2 berried so I want plenty of hiding areas for them all. I'm sure if you look on here on the for sale section you can find some mats fairly cheap.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The carpet is staurogyne repens, I bought a bag from petsmart and it filled in over time.
It started melting recently so I removed it to make room for a small dwarf hairgrass carpet.
I didn't dsm, just small EI dosing and DIY co2, never had to trim it except for a few stems that had grow taller than the others.

I fist tried a glosso carpet but it wasn't filling in as much as I liked, that's when I switched to staurogyne repens, its leaves filled in the space much better.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode