Critique, ideas, comments on 10G planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Critique, ideas, comments on 10G planted

Hi guys,
Thanks to many ppl here, I have gotten a good start to my low-tech 10G plant only tank. Its 3 weeks old. Please comment on how to improve the landscaping, which plants to add or move. Also am worried how long before the riccia starts floatiing out. Right now its growing nicely on the driftwood.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No one...?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 01:04 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Looks nice man! When you say low tech and Riccia in one sentence (or two...) I am getting worried. Low tech as in low light, no CO2 and no ferts, or as in high light, no CO2 and "we'll see what to do about ferts"?

For sure there are a lot of plants in there, excellent start. I'd wait a little while and see what grows how, and then start the 'scaping once things have settled it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Looks nice man! When you say low tech and Riccia in one sentence (or two...) I am getting worried. Low tech as in low light, no CO2 and no ferts, or as in high light, no CO2 and "we'll see what to do about ferts"?

For sure there are a lot of plants in there, excellent start. I'd wait a little while and see what grows how, and then start the 'scaping once things have settled it.
Its more like - 36W NO Flourescent, DIY CO2, Flourish excel and 'we'll see what to do about ferts?" I guess its not exactly 'low-tech'; more like 'cheap tech'. The entire setup cost me like $40, and a bag of flourite was the most expensive item!

Actually all the plants except the dwarf hairgrass is growing like crazy. And thankfully no algae. I have already pruned and replanted twice.

The important question I am facing is - whether to add fish or shrimp (RCS)? Or neither... since there isnt much algae in there yet for the shrimp to feed on anyway. The second thing I am looking for is a plant to create some contrast - and be a focus point...

Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
36 watts over 10 gallon is kinda high light. i would replace the riccia with some moss since riccia tends to get messy, nice look though. trim the hairgrass a bit to encourage growth and don't let the floating plants shade them.

RCS will be fine for a tank that's been running for 3 weeks. i put mine inside at the 2nd day

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman View Post
....The second thing I am looking for is a plant to create some contrast - and be a focus point...
Any ideas would be appreciated.
I keep posting about this plant this but cannot say enough about it. Get a tiger lotus for contrast, don't put in more than one(as it will grow so quickly that your entire surface area will be covered full of leaves and), get ready to prune like crazy. I placed a few of these in my 10 gallon low tech, low maintenance tank, these grew quicker than any other plant in the tank. Growth was so explosive that I had to place some of these tiger lotus plants in my 40 gallon. Interestingly, my 40 gallon has black beard algae and string algae, and the leaves of the Tiger Lotus have not been effected for weeks. The plants in the 40 gallon are still growing like weeds. This is one of the few reddish/pinkish plants that you will find that are not too particular re: c02 injection and iron rich substrate or fertilization. They grow from bulb.

Regards
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
I keep posting about this plant this but cannot say enough about it. Get a tiger lotus for contrast, don't put in more than one(as it will grow so quickly that your entire surface area will be covered full of leaves and), get ready to prune like crazy. I placed a few of these in my 10 gallon low tech, low maintenance tank, these grew quicker than any other plant in the tank. Growth was so explosive that I had to place some of these tiger lotus plants in my 40 gallon. Interestingly, my 40 gallon has black beard algae and string algae, and the leaves of the Tiger Lotus have not been effected for weeks. The plants in the 40 gallon are still growing like weeds. This is one of the few reddish/pinkish plants that you will find that are not too particular re: c02 injection and iron rich substrate or fertilization. They grow from bulb.

Regards
Tiger Lotus - I checked it out, looks great. Doesnt it get too big for a 10G? How big are the surface leaves? I was looking at prices - most retailers sell it for about $10!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman View Post
Tiger Lotus - I checked it out, looks great. Doesnt it get too big for a 10G? How big are the surface leaves? I was looking at prices - most retailers sell it for about $10!!

If you don't keep the leaves pruned, huge leaves will grow out and the leaves will grow and eventually block too much light from the surface of your 10 gallon. If you prune regularly, this will not happen. And if you prune it will force the plant to remain compact. In my experience these will work fine for a 10 gallon as long as you don't put in more than one and remain vigilant about pruning the leaves. And don't worry, you won't miss the leaves as this plant produces leaves are crazy. The ones I got were part of the aquariumplants grow your own bulbs packages(the package also includes madagascar lace plants and apongenton bulbs).
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Grow_Y...Bulbs_s/29.htm

I got 100% germination of all bulbs and all are growing great. Despite my problems with them on other issues, I would continue to buy the bulbs from them. When you do the math, with a 100% germinaton you are looking at $35-40 in plants. There package of bulbs goes for $10 for 2 packages of bulbs - that's a steal even with extra paid for shipping. A single fully grown tiger lotus sells for $10 in my city, an apongenton plant sells for $10, and a madagascar lace plant sells for about $15(that does not include taxes).
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Tiger Lotus in a 10gal is a bit of a risk... True, some specimens stay small and humble, but when they go, they grow. I had some take over my 100gal tank, with leaves that exceeded 12inches length (just the leafy part!), and I did religiously remove all of their to-be-floaters leaves. And their root growth can be overwhelming. I guess it is like with Swords... they can stay small in a small tank, but you never know when they go on a growing trip.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Tigers are a bit big for tens.
They are also pretty hard to scape correctly, as they make a huge impact.

Just FYI, my tiger lotus in my pond is about 4 feet in diameter an the floating leaves(the only leaves) are about 6" in diameter.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufus View Post
Tigers are a bit big for tens.
They are also pretty hard to scape correctly, as they make a huge impact.

Just FYI, my tiger lotus in my pond is about 4 feet in diameter an the floating leaves(the only leaves) are about 6" in diameter.
OMG!!
Thats huge.
Does anyone have any alternatives for a centerpiece?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Cryptocorne Sp.

-Devin-
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
crinum natans.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuzo View Post
crinum natans.
"PLANTS
Crinum natans

Crinum natans Crinum natans is a very beautiful and graceful bulbous plant with dark-green leaves which grows to a height of 50-150cm and a width of 20-30cm. Plant so the top 2/3 of the bulb is visible. When the plant grows older (if it is thriving) it sometimes forms small bulbs and sends a flower stem up to the water surface with a beautiful and aromatic lily flower. The plant varies considerably in leaf width and the shape of the leaf margin. It is also suitable for indoor ponds and is not eaten by herbivorous fish."

Source: http://www.aquazoo.co.uk/index1297.html

Seems to me crapman that you will be damned if you do and damned if you don't. Depends on how much crap(no pun intended) you are prepared to deal with. If you allow tiger lotus or any other fast growing plant unpruned, it will eventually outgrow your tank. If you are looking for an effortless centre piece plant, perhaps long leaf java fern, which will grow very slowly and not require pruning. The reality though is that the fast growing plants are really best at keeping algae at bay, especially if you are just starting out.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

an easy plant making a nice touch with a bit of color is crypt. wentii brown or red.

-Devin-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode