foreground plant for 5.5g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
foreground plant for 5.5g

I'm getting tired of trimming my riccia foreground all the time, so I was thinking of pulling it all out and starting over with a new plant. Problem is, there's only about an inch or less of substrate (half gravel, half flourite leftover from 10g) because most of the tank is riccia attached to rocks.

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding ADA Aqua Soil (I think the 3 liter bag is a good amount). However I have about 20 or so red cherry shrimp swimming around in the tank. Do you think if I add the AS slowly, the shrimp wouldn't be disturbed much? I would think trying to catch them all and relocating them for a few hours would cause them a great deal of stress, rather than slowly pouring or scooping in the AS into the tank.

Then I just have to figure out a good foreground plant for the tank. It's under an 18W 6400K pc light. I can look for a second light if I really need to, but this was sufficient for the riccia and a couple stems of Rotala rotundifolia. Would HC work for this tank? Or would a better choice be dwarf hairgrass? Any other foreground plants you guys recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:29 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could always try partitioning the tank while adding the aqua soil? That'd keep the shrimp to one side while you added the aqua soil to the other, and then you could do the same with the other side. That's the best way I can think of.

As for a nice foreground plant, I really love Echinodorus Parviflorus (var. Tropica, which stays fairly low to the ground and grows slowly. It'll do okay under low light too). I think it's just called Compact Sword as a common name. Usually easy to find, and I'll be surprised if you ever have to trim it
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
I planted HC in my 3gal tank. I tried glosso at first but it was just a little too big for the size of the tank. I am using a 27W desk lamp from home depot for lighting. I used to dose excel but since I put the shrimps in I'm a little worried about dosing any more excel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
dont even think about putting the rcs back in for about a month or so after you put the as in. i did this and have lost over half of my rcs dure to ammonia leeching from the as!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...-disaster.html

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by reybie View Post
I planted HC in my 3gal tank. I tried glosso at first but it was just a little too big for the size of the tank. I am using a 27W desk lamp from home depot for lighting. I used to dose excel but since I put the shrimps in I'm a little worried about dosing any more excel.
I dose excel usually daily with my 5.5 tank, but its less than .5mL, and the shrimp are fine. I might try HC, hopefully it'll be fine with 18W...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
dont even think about putting the rcs back in for about a month or so after you put the as in. i did this and have lost over half of my rcs dure to ammonia leeching from the as!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...-disaster.html
What if i left the AS to soak in a bucket for a week or two, changing the water frequently. Do you think that would work? And I'm going to add it to the substrate already there, so it won't take away any biological fitration...hopefully...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
some one suggested that on the thread i started, you may want to ask them how long they soak and change the water for.

from what i have been told the as leaches the ammonia, so its not an issue of the bacteria not being there. io reused over half the water, the filtration media and all the mulm from the previous substrate.

right im doing %50 water changes daily, and have zeolite crystals in the filter to help absorb the ammonia/nitrite.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
I don't think 18w over 5 gallns is enough light for HC, maybe.

I have 27w over 2.5 gallons, and 15w over ~1g.

my hc is spreading in the 2.5, with AS, but not so much in the 1g with inert sand.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'll look for a 27W PC lamp at Lowes this weekend, hopefully they have a cheap one... if not, i'll see if i can try home depot. and if i can't get there, then i'll have to settle with dwarf hairgrass maybe... or marsilea minuta (sp?)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode