Views:	2466
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	251569

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131227_214449_LLS.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	251577

Tank: Found it at Meijer, all glass, rimless and rounded corners. Thought I was going to do a micro reef, but decided to try my hand at planted tanks intead.

Lighting: LED Par 30 Daylight (5000K)

Filter: Aquatop PF25-UV (5 stage filter with built in UV light)

Substrate: 1.5" organic potting soil covered in .5" fine gravel.

Plants: Moneywort, Dwarf Sag, Java Fern, some type of sword (not sure yet still smaller and the sales associate wasn't much help), Purple Waffle (yes, I know it is a dreaded plant, but got was not informed of this when purchased, no signs of decay after a month though). Corkscrew Val, Wisteria, tiger lotus, and some dwarf baby tears.

Fish: Small school of cardinal tetras.

I have keep reef tanks for years, but decided on a whim to give a planted tank a go. After having this for a month I am hooked, love seeing the fast results of growing plants as opposed to the months of waiting to see small progress in coral. Looking to possibly add a few red cherry shrimp next. No chemicals/ferts used. Everything at the moment seems to be happy and growing. The camera makes it seems as though the LED is making a "spotlight" effect, but it is not that noticeable in person.

Open to all suggestions and opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I found the mini CO2 kit from fluval at petsmart today.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=23680

Most of the reviews state that it works well yet the cartridges need to be refilled often. I an hoping with a small tank this will be less of an issue. Either way it seems to be an interesting start into the realm of CO2 dosing a planted tank.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice tank. I'm actually pondering getting another 5-8 gallon nano as a shrimp tank soon.

Here's my years worth of experience of co2 in nano's:
I own 2 45g Ista co2 kits and 2 Fluval 88g kits.

Just a little background info, I have a 3 gallon nano a 8 gallon cube and 12 long tank that I co2 inject daily. All are injected 1-2 bubbles per second and run from 1 hour before lights on for about 6 hours or so or when the drop checker reads green. The 3 gallon has a 45g Ista on it and the 8 and 12 gallon tanks have Fluval 88g.

I have gone with kits instead of buying big regulators and huge co2 tanks for the following reasons: Being a beginner having everything come in one box is easier than reasearching what regulator works with what canister and where I can even refill the thing. The replacement cartrages are convenient to purcahse at local shops (help support them) or online for cheap. The kits usually look a lot sleeker than a huge canister the size of the tank itself so for esthetics I went with the kits. Provided you'd save more money in the long run with a big kit (3+years with a 5g tank) I feel the kits are still nice and easy for the money. Here's a breakdown of my experience.

Ista 45g: At $45 for the kit at Petco it was easy for me to go for this as a start into the world of co2 injection. I quickly learned that this system is fairly challenging in the regulating aspect. The slightest fraction of a turn makes this thing go from 0 to 60 bubbles per second and no thats not a racing joke haha. Anyways I've had trouble in the past with blowing the airline tubing off and either waisted a canister or killed fish :-(. I must say their 2 in 1 bubble counter/ defuser is very sleek and second to none that I've seen so far.

Fluval 88g: These range around $100 and I feel are a good buy for the money. The regulator valve is easy and consistent which in turn leads to a more steady bubble count. The inline bubble counter is also helpfull but have to say the defuser is OK. I've had the airline tubing blow off these a little easier than other defusers and actually purcahsed the 2 in 1 bubble counter/ defuser from Ista to replace both of the Fluval defusers. After I added the Ista 2 in 1 with keeping the Fluval in-line bubble counter on, co2 on this tank has been a dream. With two places to check the bubble count I have yet to blow the airline tubbing off the defuser.

Fluval 20G: Not having any experience I can't say too much about this system but I have seen it often and feel it would be a decent buy. I have heard it goes through canisters quite quickly but it really depends on how much you run your co2 at what bps and how big the tank is. I do find the co2 defuser on this to be a bit bulky so in a 5 gallon it might take up a decent chunk of room.

After some time of using the Ista system and un satisfied I decided to make my next purchase based on cost and effectiveness. Here's my breakdown that you might find useful

Running my tanks at 1-2 bps (or till drop checker hits green) each day I've concluded the following:
12 long tank best example:
1 Fluval 88g canister every 25 days which is 3.5g a day. 3.5g x 365 days a year = 1,277. 1,277 / 12 gallons = 106 grams of co2 you would use a year per gallon so with that your tank calculation for cost of each system to get replacement canisters would be as follows:
Your tank would use about 106g x 5 gallons = 530 grams per year.

Ista: $10 45g canister = $.22 per g 530 x .22=$117 a year
Fluval 20g: 3 pack $20 = $.33 per g 530 x .33=$175 a year
Fluval 88g: 3 pack $50 = $.19 per g 530 x .19=$101 a year

These are just projections based on what I pay to run my systems but regardless shows you the price difference between the systems using the same numbers. Also note these numbers are based off what I typically see for prices around me. I recently bought 4 Fluval 88g 3 packs for only $27 each with free shipping so my costs to run my 12 long for a year will only be $130 as apposed to $250 or so. Definetly look around but with co2 systems it really is you get what you pay for.

I know this is probably a lot to read but I've been in your exact shoes. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the Fluval 88g and the Ista 2 in 1 bubble counter/defuser for all 3 tanks.

Best of luck!

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*

Last edited by NanoDave; 12-29-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode