Vals possible in 5gal/13watt? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Vals possible in 5gal/13watt?

Hi

I would like to set up a 5gal, no CO2 tank. I plan on putting in the 13watt replacement fixture from AH supply. Will this set-up be sufficient for Valisneria? I am going to be using Eco-complete and a layer of pool sand over it (sand for aesthetic purposes).

Also, with a low fish load (I plan on shrimp mostly), is there any reason I need to keep the filter going, or will a small powerhead with a sponge attachment be sufficient?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
It should be fine but I think the tank is too small for them.

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Try to stick with Vallisneria nana. It shouldn't be too much of a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
I see nothing wrong with a 5 gallon for shrimp. I keep my SS/S+ CRS in one, and they're doing great; I just make sure to give lots and lots of filtration. I have a foam-sponge over the intakes of the Eheim Ecco 2234 and Azoo Palm Filter I have on the tank, and I notice when the sponge gets too clogged, the shrimps aren't as strongly colored as they normally. Good indicator of water quality.

As for plants, you probably will want to keep it low to medium-light. Vallisneria nana should be no problem in terms of growing, but you want to beware it outgrowing your tank. Since it'll grow slower, you wouldn't have too much trouble with it outgrowing your tank too fast, but it is something to think about.

About the sand.... Wouldn't the sand just sink down to the bottom? Why not just eco-complete? I personally found sand very tedious to keep clean...

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 02:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think he was talking about the vals.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 03:23 PM

I picked up something sold as Pygmy vallisneria and it stays much smaller than the other varieties.

I haven't seen this described anywhere well. Is this the nana variety? I'm looking for the species name for it. Is it spiralis?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Does it spiral a lot? then its the new kind. Forgot the name but Tropica.com should have some information on it.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 02:04 AM

It doesn't have too many twists in the leaves, but I'll see what tropica says about their val varieties.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode