ADA 60F with AquaSky - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA 60F with AquaSky

Hi guys,

I am about to set up a ADA 60F with the ADA Aquasky LED but have a few questions about when to add the HC. Normally I have cycled the tank before adding plants, in your experience when is the best time to add plants?

Below are some photos of what we are dealing with, I know it could use with more Seiryu but I am setting this up to house my Habrosus and Punctatus more than anything else and want them to have plenty of swimming room. Maybe I could get a couple more small Seiryu stones?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60F_front.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	250865  

Name:	DSCF0181.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	250873  

Name:	DSCF0170.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	250881  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 04:28 AM
Planted Member

More stones will do great!!

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

My 40 Gallon Planted Tank -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Care about money while you enter into a hobby
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by harilp View Post
More stones will do great!!

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2
I think you are right, it does look a bit bare in the top photo

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

either do dsm
or
plant + flood straight away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

great gear!

let me guess, EA?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
is that the aqua soil powder? if so how many bags?
i have been trying to decide what tank to purchase the 60p or 60f but i want to stay low tech and they told me the aqua sky which i really like the looks of, would be to much light for the 60f tank without co2. i see your doing the co2 The tank looks great… love how clean looking the ada products are. congrats on a beautiful new set up. i'll be following for inspiration

Play at the edge of your comfort zone
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Algae Grower

Looking good
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
my experience with aquasky + aquasoil...crazy algae. I would plant heavy and flood right away, and keep the photoperiod really low to start.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tank looks great. I agree with more rocks.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
either do dsm
or
plant + flood straight away.
Thanks Dantrasy, I might try the plant and flood method for a change. I love your 1 foot CADE tank I have one as well that I bought from EA but was not too successful, I noticed you had not Co2 running which was maybe part of my problem in such a small tank.

I might try it again without the C02.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Algae Grower

Just plant heavy and run high co2, lights 10hrs a day and follow the recommended ada water change schedule so the ammonia doesn't go too high. If you follow it correctly and add Amanos/ottos at day 10 you will be fine algae wise. Just remember high co2, it's a lot of light.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink4miss View Post
is that the aqua soil powder? if so how many bags?
i have been trying to decide what tank to purchase the 60p or 60f but i want to stay low tech and they told me the aqua sky which i really like the looks of, would be to much light for the 60f tank without co2. i see your doing the co2 The tank looks great… love how clean looking the ada products are. congrats on a beautiful new set up. i'll be following for inspiration
Only used half of a 9 litre bag of powder. Using the powder only this time as Takashi Amano mentions in small tanks only use the powder plus with my corydorus the food went into the substrate with the larger type of Amazonian.

The AquaSky has two types for a 60cm tank, 601 has a single row of LED and the 602 which has two rows of LED. I think the 602 will definitely be over kill but this is what is written about the 601 on the ADA website.

Quote:
AQUASKY 601 is ideal for a 60cm wide aquarium tank mainly keeping fish and shrimps with a small amount of aquatic plants. This product is the single light model for 60cm aquariums.
I think you could go low tech dosing with Excel based on their comments however I went with the 601 based on how shallow the water depth is on the 60F.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giramassi View Post
Only used half of a 9 litre bag of powder. Using the powder only this time as Takashi Amano mentions in small tanks only use the powder plus with my corydorus the food went into the substrate with the larger type of Amazonian.

The AquaSky has two types for a 60cm tank, 601 has a single row of LED and the 602 which has two rows of LED. I think the 602 will definitely be over kill but this is what is written about the 601 on the ADA website.

I think you could go low tech dosing with Excel based on their comments however I went with the 601 based on how shallow the water depth is on the 60F.

thank you you really answered the question i had about the soil. its hard to get any info on what bag size fills what square foot area at what depth . when i asked the one ada site the guy must have misunderstood me . he told me i would need 2 bags for 2 3gallon tanks. one 9L normal and one 3L powder lol wonder where the fish were going to go? i knew it had to be wrong and a misunderstanding.

well now i know i only need the one bag of 9L for the 60 p or f still undecided . i also keep reading to put the normal on the bottom and top with the powder. i would think the powder would eventually sink to the bottom if you do this and leave you with the larger pieces on top. not the smaller that seems to fit a small tanks looks well.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Planted Member

hows your tank coming along? , i would love to see pictures and hear any thoughts about your light.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink4miss View Post
hows your tank coming along? , i would love to see pictures and hear any thoughts about your light.
Sure here are some of the latest photos. The list of inhabitants include;
  • 11 Darwin Algae Shrimp
  • 5 Corydoras Habrosus ( 3 are juveniles bred in my tank)
  • 2 clown killi fish
  • 1 ottoc

The Shrimps below are commonly known as Darwin Algae shrimp (Native to Australia) and are sold as Caridina longisrostris but are actually Caridina sp NTnilotica, very similar to the amano shrimp and grow to 5cm. These guys ripped into the algae (not like the lazy CRS) and are known to eat even hair algae.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0253.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	265354  

Name:	DSCF0237.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	265362  

Name:	DSCF0254.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	265370  

Name:	DSCF0259.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	265378  

Name:	DSCF0252.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	265386  

Name:	DSCF0270.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	265394  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode