2.5 Gallon Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 Gallon Tank

I have a 2.5 gallon tank at the moment setup with some rocks and a small piece of tree branch. The lighting above it is a clip on CF bulb. I would like to know how safe it is to use the tree branch piece. I just gathered it from a country home i visit every summer along with a few rocks. The substrate is some eco complete from an established tank. Here are some pictures.

UPDATE: 1/2/14

I have been playing around with the rocks a bunch to reorganize them and see what i enjoy most aesthetically. I will probably add a small azoo or deep blue mini filter to the aquarium i will pick up tomorrow. Filter will have some eheim substrat media in a very small media bag and sera floss. I would like to hear thoughts on possible plant selections. I would only be using the clip on lamp and flourish excel along with other seachem dosing products.

Last edited by NYCaqua; 01-02-2014 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Updates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Plant anubias nana petite in between the rocks. sprinkle some smaller crypts throughout. Plant some vals in the back left, maybe java moss on the branch and maybe some ludwigia in the back right. You could get some dwarf chain sword for the background and some marsilea minuata or hydrocyle sp japan for the foreground as a carpet.
Good Luck!
If you want to use some branch you found you could scrub it, bake it/dry it, soak it and put it in your tank once the tanins leach out.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:38 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Can you tell if it's a softwood or a hardwood?

People commonly say that pine sap is bad in the aquarium, others say that pine wood isn't harmful but it rots quickly.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea its relatively softwood. I will be testing the water for a month before i even decide to get shrimp or fish. I did bake it/dry it and it doesnt release any tanins at all right now. Thanks for the plant advice. I really do love anubias plants but i currently am using up all possible petites to finish the foreground for my 29 gallon. I was thinking of maybe some dwarf pennywort or dwarf baby tears. How successful can you be when dosing excel as far as co2 is concerned? I have never tried it and heard mixed things.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Was able to add the filter today. Its this one
Azoo Palm Filter

Im using eheim substrat pro and filter floss inside of it. Was thinking of adding another one since it only filters 16gph. Would that be overkill if i add small shrimp?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Algae Grower

I dont think so, considering i had 100gph+ in my 5.5g shrimp tank.

JAVA MOSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm currious to hear how you like the filter. I've been looking into these as a possible option on my next tank. I saw some online for around $7! 0.0 I personally have the Deep Blue Biomaxx Nano filter and let me tell you, I'm glad they put a flow regulator on it as it blasts my 2 gallon even at half way open.

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave View Post
I'm currious to hear how you like the filter. I've been looking into these as a possible option on my next tank. I saw some online for around $7! 0.0 I personally have the Deep Blue Biomaxx Nano filter and let me tell you, I'm glad they put a flow regulator on it as it blasts my 2 gallon even at half way open.
I've got one on my 3 gallon and its great. The flow is adjustable and you can slow it down even more by craming the media compartment full. I never used the stock media and instead went for an AC20 sponge cut in half and AC20 biomax plus a little filter floss. It also came with a prefilter on the intake which is nice. Can't beat it for $7! Pretty quiet as well.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well i got plants in the tank along with 3 male guppies. Plant selection consist of small java fern in the back and some variety of anubias mini in between the rocks. Its not petite and I am not sure on the exact name. Also have a small mat of flame moss i would like to spread with time as it grows. Here are the pictures!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
That is just awesome!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Moved things around in the tank. Have plans to completely cover the left region with small anubias in between the rocks and in between the piece of wood. Hope i get fast growth rate with the flame moss so that i am able to spread it all over the foreground soon.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got Anubias barteri golden and moved piece of wood.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode