my 10 gal planted. enjoy! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
my 10 gal planted. enjoy!

10 gallon. some no name pond planting media. "zeolite" is labled on the bag. no real fertilizer dosing, once a month i give it a shot of my micro algae grow, lol. lighting is though 3 15 watt 6500k and one actinic (i like the extra "pop" it gives the neon tetras). co2 is DIY and injected through a micro pump, chops the bubbles up really small and spits them out. my plants grow like weeds
temp is kept around 75F.

some of my plants, like my hair grass came from a local lake. what also came from the local lake is some horrible algae! fortunatly, 9 amano shrimp, 3 SAE, 3 ottos later, it seems to be going away.

fish:
11 neon tetras, 2 glowlight tetras, 2 guppies, 1 honey gouramie, 3 ottos, 3 SAE, 9 amano shrimp, 1 ghost shrimp, 1 kuli loach. yes, 23 fish and 10 shrimp in a 10 gal tank with no filteration other than plants. water test show hardly a trace of nitrates. tank has been running for 3 months now. i do weekly water changes. i run a HOT magnum once a week as well, and i brush up the loose detritus on the bottom so the filter sucks it up. i remove old leaves 2-3x per week to keep it from becoming overgrown.

i feed cyclopeeze mostly, frozen bloodworms, marine fish flakes, and shrimp pellets. usually 1x per day, but sometimes up to 10x per day (if im home all day and bored).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

oh yea, before i get yelled at for 3 SAE in a 10 gal.. im setting up a 65 gal planted. most everything is going to be moved into the 65.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
10x per day feedings? I'd be careful. Make sure they are smallllllllll feedings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Holy... Your fish are fat. Or at least the tetra in the last picture is. It can't be good for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the neons are fat with eggs. i dont feed them nearly enough to put on that kind of body.
most feeding is a single shrimp pellet. sometimes they get small amounts of frozen foods (rest of it goes to the clownfish and anemone in my other tank). each feeding is small, though sometimes i feed multiple times per day.

im comfortable with my feeding schedule so please dont be worried about it. and the picture of the neon is BEFORE feeding, not after. they look funny after they eat...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

here are some older pics, and pics of the equipment.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the worse algae that i was having is now gone. my substrate is now clean.

however, i am still getting algae growth on my glass. VERY quickly. i clean it twice a day. it amazes me how fast the glass gets covered in algae.. i also still have some BBA on some of my leaves, so i think im just going to cut out all the leaves and let them grow back in.

i bought a pair of guppies. the female popped out 9 babies then died.

the neon tetras have developed red on their dorsal fin and half their tail fins. most pictures i have looked at do not show this. the neon tetras at the petstore dont look like this either. i assume its a positive reaction to their high quality diet and water quality. plus the natural habitat.

the amano shrimp are molting alot. every morning i find another shed on the ground. 9 shrimp total.
the siamese algae eaters are growing insainly fast. they have already tripped or better in size. i may just sell two of them, as im not sure if i like them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
your feeding frenzy probably caused that algae growth and the death of those baby guppies.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuzo View Post
your feeding frenzy probably caused that algae growth and the death of those baby guppies.
the algae growth was a result of the tank being so new, and lack of CO2. i have not changed feeding and most the algae has gone away. right now im just leftwith the algae growing on the sides of the tank.
all the baby guppies are fine and growing fast. the female died from disease, as i didnt quarantine her or the male. currently the male is sick too, but i removed him and will treat him.

any new tank is going to have algae issues, goldfish tanks, planted tanks, reef tanks. its a part of the maturation process.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode