Starting a 3g Picotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting a 3g Picotope

Hey everyone,

I am going to start my first planted tank. It's a 3g Picotope. I have a Finnex Fugeray-R and an Aquaclear 30. It will be housing Cherry Shrimp. I would like it to be low-tech, and I have Eco-Complete. I have a few plants in mind, but my question is this: are there any methods/techniques used to start a planted tank? For example, do I need any water additives? Do I need to let the tank run for any period of time before adding plants(or is it an option to even do so)? Do I need to let the tank run for a while once the plants are in there before adding the shrimp?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
You can stick plants in when you start the tank. Its advised that you use a de-chlorinator before adding the plants to the water. If you plan to use a heater in the tank set up the tank and get it to temp up (some heaters do this a lot faster than others, if you heat with plants in or are adding plants after a gradual increase in temp is better than a sudden change from cold to warm).
Many plants have a risk of coming with snails/algae so a lot of people will do a diluted bleach water treatment to get rid of nasties. If you do this the plants should not be in the bleach/water solution too long, and make sure to gently but thoroughly rinse plants after the bleaching and set them in a container of treated water (I double or triple the amount of de-chlorinator added in this out of paranoia but you can use the proper ratio dosage) before they go into the main tank.
You should definitely wait to add shrimp, unless you have a fully cycled filter from another tank going onto this one. Shrimp are very sensitive and the ammonia and nitrite that will build up during cycling will kill them. The plats will consume some of the stuff, but I wouldn't trust them to keep it at safe levels through the cycle. People who do extremely dense planting with lots of fast growing plants say they can add stock (shirmp/fish) immediately but I have no experience with that myself. Good luck with your tank ^^

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
When I start a new nano I typically place in substrate and situate the heater and filter/air stone. I usually fill about 1/2-3/4 of the tank with water treated with:Prime (de-chlorinator), Excel, Iron, and Potassium. Then comes planting; which is typically done with a pair of fluval scissors to cut of any dead leaves and a pair of forceps to bury the plants with. After which I take a few root tabs and break them into halves and place 1" deep every 3-4". I top off the tank turn on the heater and filter/airstone.

I'm only a year or so into nano's but I have a half dozen tanks and have done this for all with great success.

I usually let the tank run for at least a month before adding any fish/ shrimp. I have added things such as baby marmorkrebs or feeder fish to help get the tank cycled.

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Everyone starts their tank differently but the most common step is to definitely wait to put any fauna in until your tank is fully cycled. This could take a few days up to a few weeks depending on how you're cycling. I always add my plants right away as they help with the cycling.

If you have a filter you can use from an already established tank then it will take less time to cycle. Planting heavily will also help as well! Otherwise, just let your tank run, do water changes if necessary, and check your water parameters.

I personally use Tetra SafeStart Plus to help speed up my cycling. I'm a bit impatient, haha. I'm currently cycling my new 6gal tank ... but I'm using Aquasoil so my ammonia is off the charts. It's been 1.5 weeks now and I started off with 100% water changes the first few days and now 50% water changes every day. I'm also using a brand new canister filter (yay Christmas) so I don't have any established bacteria yet either. This will probably take me another week or two before I can introduce my Betta fish to it's new home.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the responses everyone. I should be setting the tank up this weekend so I'll post pics and let yall know how it goes.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So with the conditions that I am going to have, will I be able to grow these plants?
-Anchor Moss
-Anubias Petites
-Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
-Dwarf Hairgrass
-Egeria Densa

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode