Starting a new 10 gallon tank, in need of opinions/advice! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Starting a new 10 gallon tank, in need of opinions/advice!

Dear Planted Tank Community,

I've been really eager to start up a new aquarium and it will be my first time doing it. I'm really nervous about what to do and how to start it, can you please leave me opinions and throw some advice's on what needs to be improved.

Here's my starting list, I'm going to purchase a 10g tank and will be replacing the stock filter with a http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-20-Power-Filter-Includes/dp/B000260FVG and grabbing a Aqueon 50w Heater - http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/pro-heaters.html also maybe adding a secondary Hydro Sponge Filter - http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/SpongeFilter.html. and finally, some CaribSea Super Natural Sand/Substrate - http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3956163. Also I've been thinking about replacing the starter light bulb that comes with it, but have no clue which one to get, would love to hear suggestions!

What do you guys think so far? Do you guys recommend anything else?

Here's the fish community I think I'll be adding - I'll be adding a male betta, a school of 5-6 tetras (not sure what colors yet), ghost shrimp or cherry red shrimp, and maybe a cory?

I'll be dumping some live plants -java moss, java fern, amazon swords, anacharis, and anubias. Or if you guys have any other suggestions for a 10g tank with those type of fish?

Last question - how in the world do I start this Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle? Everyone suggested to do the Fish Food Method, and I did a tons of research about it, then people said to add the SeaChem Stability as a jump starter. Then keep testing daily with API Freshwater Test Kit. How do I do the 25% daily water changes when I do the Aquarium Cycle? Is it okay to have my live plants all set up with the lights on while doing the cycle? What's the best way on taking care of these plants when I'm going through the cycle?

Thanks for helping in advance! And hope to hear from you all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
It sounds like you are buying a 10 gallon kit and then replacing almost everything that comes with it. If you are going to swap out the filter, heater, and lights, then why get the kit? I just started a new tank using the Petco 13gallon LED it. It was on sale for like $39, so far it seems ok, but still going through the cycle.

As for the nitrogen cycle, search the forums for Diana and fishless cycle. She has a great writeup on cycling tanks.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
the starter bulbs are incandescent so they won't give you much growth at all. You can fit 2 CFLs in there nicely. That's what I run in that same hood.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode