Glossostigma questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Glossostigma questions

Hello I ordered a finnex fugeray for my 5 gallon. Yesterday I picked up fluval stratum and I'm wondering do I need to use co2 or flourish excel ? Bc I would prefer excel cheaper and easier. If u keep glosso or have had a nice carpet please help me I really wanna try it . And will it be okay with my blyxa japonica and rotala walichi ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi NeMox69x

I have glosso in several tanks all with different varients. I have some in a 12 long 9" height with a T5 HO 1-6,7k bulb 1-10k bulb with cO2 injected daily with weekly iron, and potsium and monthly root tabs. The glosso grows a new node every third day and has carpeted the tank in 5 months time with very very minimal planted stems to start with.

I also have 2 nano tanks running nothing more than an airstone and some ramshorn snails. I set them up 3 months ago with only a few stems as well and it's half carpeted. These tanks I dose weekly with iron, potasium and excel with root tabs once a month. Both tanks are under a single T8 20" 6,7k strip light. Those tanks grow a node probably every 5-7 days.

Overall I personally feel that glosso grows as fast as the amount you put into it. In a 5 gallon I would say excell dosing would be fine. I would deffinetly invest in iron and potasium as well before I would buy a cO2 kit. With the added iron dosing you'll get long lush roots that'll help the plant carpet better I feel personally. I would also highly invest in root tabs and add them once a month. I didn't do this the first 2 months with my 12 long and growth was decent but after I burried some it REALLY took off and carpeted. I would say a trick I've learned is if you buy Flourish Tabs that are in disk form break them in half and plant every few inches. If you try and break into 4ths they seem to disolve and crumble with contact to water too quickly so stick to halves.

If you do decided you want more robust growth and have the money cO2 would definetly help but not 100% needed. I've personally tried the 45g Ista cO2 kit for $50 and the Fluval 88g for $100. I have to say I'm VERY dissapointed in the Ista as the airline tubbing constanly pops off the defuser and is very tempermental. The Fluval 88g is a dream as its easily regulated and isn't too large. I haven't tried any other's but the Fluval 20g's seem like they might be a decent buy but overall you'll save money on replacement canisters with the 88g.

I'm only a year into keeping planted tanks and am only going off my own experience. Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I can try to help.

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*

Last edited by NanoDave; 12-23-2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so very much you are so helpful. I have root tabs in my 38 gallon and my blyxa loves it. So I can run in a 5 gallon finnex fugeray with excel I have seachem aquavitro iron what does potassium do? Is it worth it I would like to do glosso bc dwarf HC is garbage in my tank. I'm trading with a guy from Oregon for a fluval 20 co2 system and I don't wanna get my plants "hooked" on co2 if I can run excel . It's just going to take a while is what your saying and can I put the root tabs I with stratum??

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
To be honest, Id just spend a little more money and buy a paintball regulator. Over time those Fluval co2 cartridges will cost you quite a bit. A 16oz paintball tank will last you a LONG time, a few months im pretty sure, if you're just running it on a 5 gallon tank. It usually costs me about $5.25 to refill it at a local paintball store. Just something to think about

lol, I love commas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had a 5lb system with regulator solinoid and recently sold it. I would rather dose excel vs use co2 though
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree with austin.b on the paintball. I'll be looking into this shortly but again being new to the hobby I went with Fluval as it's a system thats made for fish tanks. I feel it really helped that everything came in one box and is ready to go not to mention I can find refills easier than paintball shops or refill spots for cO2 canisters. I will probably always run my Fluvals on my two show tanks as I enjoy the sleek look and convience. Price wise the paintball canisters with DIY regulators are a good long term alternative though.

As for your questions I would say dosing excel will be fine. I would probably dose twice a week with excel and once a week with iron and potassium. I dose potassium as it's one of the trace elements plants need to thrive. Though it's on the bottom of the list after light, cO2, iron, etc... it still helps. If your doing API root tabs they contain a little bit of potasium so you could deffinetly get by without it. Potasium can help with yellowing, dying of older leaves, pin hole marks in leaves, etc... heres a decent read on the basics to a planted tank that I look over now and again: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/intro...-planted-tank/.
As for putting in root tabs with stratum you def can but I would bury the tab a decent amount 1-2 inch. The larger the grade of substrate the more contact to water the tabs will have, the quicker they will break down, the quicker they will disolve into the water column. Needless to say the more that disolves into the water column the more that gets sucked into your filter and gets sucked up with water changes so I tend to bury medium-deep.

You should also know stratum contains a lot of nutrients and is a really good plant substrate. I have not used it personally as I'm more attracted to finer grade substrates like eco-complete but I've heard/seen many good things about stratum. With that said you probably won't need too many root tabs and your glosso should do just fine.

I can relate to HC not growing well as I've tried it twice with little luck. I will say I feel it grows better in finer substrate which I did not have at the time and ended up have floating HC everywhere. Unlike HC glosso roots deep (2" roots for me) and roots in larger substrates easier than HC would. I also find it more forgiving than HC so you should have a lot better luck with it.

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile

Thank you very much for your advice. You are very helpful you answered everything I wanted to know and more

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode